Challenging Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I was thinking I am up for a challenge. :) What are the more difficult corals out there other than non photosynthetic ones? Is SPS the upper end of difficult? and if so what particular types? I have a birdsnest, bushy arcopora and a blue echinata so far and they are thriving.

any thoughts or suggestions? I'd like very colorful coral as well if that's possible.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with.

:-D

Oh wow, that is an absolutely stunning coral, I really like it. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about it, I would definitely look into it though. :)

Goniopora's and, to a lesser extent, alveopora's are probably challenging LPS corals to keep long term ('long term' defined as having these corals thrive for at least several years rather than several months).

carey said:
Nobody? C'mon guys I know youre out there! LOL

I was looking at this coral and would really like to have it

Valida Acropora Coral

Whatcha think? I love the colors...

I love this coral as well. Maybe you can be my guinea pig and tell me how it goes? Lol

I'm trying out an encrusted gonipora right now. It's bright pink. Lol. So far it's doing really good. It's supposed to be one of the more hardier gonipora though (or so I've read).

Yep, I have one gonipora already, it's doing really well, I have another one on the way to me hopefully next week.

I'm just looking for a coral(s) that I can be proud to say i can keep. And that are pretty too.

any idea why goni's are supposed to be hard to keep by the way? I'd heard the same thing but so far mine is doing fine so I'm not sure what people are talking about. Of course it's only been a few months but all indications seem to be that I won't have a problem.

I'd love to get that arco but it's out of stock lol. I'll have to keep my eyes out for one in my travels.

carey said:
Yep, I have one gonipora already, it's doing really well, I have another one on the way to me hopefully next week.

I'm just looking for a coral(s) that I can be proud to say i can keep. And that are pretty too.

any idea why goni's are supposed to be hard to keep by the way? I'd heard the same thing but so far mine is doing fine so I'm not sure what people are talking about. Of course it's only been a few months but all indications seem to be that I won't have a problem.

I'd love to get that arco but it's out of stock lol. I'll have to keep my eyes out for one in my travels.

If I remember correctly, when I was researching the gonipora, it said they weren't able to live long in the aquarium because they still were not entirely sure as to what the coral eats in its natural habitat? And water parameters play a significant role in it as well. Needs to be perfect.

It's probably rude of me, but when I'm at my LFS and people look at the flower pots I tell em not to buy it. And everyone says "why not? It's so pretty!" I tell em to research it. And what do you know, the SW flower pots are still there

Hmm I don't feed mine anything, I just do my water changes and feed the tank. I occasionally will use coral vibrance, a powdered coral food but thats it. My water is pretty good too so I guess that helps.

You know the feeling I'm sure, you sometimes just want a challenge. lol

carey said:
Hmm I don't feed mine anything, I just do my water changes and feed the tank. I occasionally will use coral vibrance, a powdered coral food but thats it. My water is pretty good too so I guess that helps.

You know the feeling I'm sure, you sometimes just want a challenge. lol

Lol. Yeah. I hear ya. My encrusted gonipora is my challenge. I'll take a pic of it later when the lights come on. My daughter wanted it sooooo bad because it was pink- so I took the plunge and I watch it like a hawk. My husband jokes that I even count the little flowers that pop up every day to make sure it's thriving

Well on my to buy list is still that coral I linked, a wellso brain, a red gonipora, an elegance and a pink birdsnest. :)

I had a wellso brain early on but I bleached it out and the aussie elegance I had as well but it had to be given away after my clowns started hosting it. lol I'd like another crack at those two corals lol

carey said:
Well on my to buy list is still that coral I linked, a wellso brain, a red gonipora, an elegance and a pink birdsnest. :)

I had a wellso brain early on but I bleached it out and the aussie elegance I had as well but it had to be given away after my clowns started hosting it. lol I'd like another crack at those two corals lol

Yeah. LA divers den has the Aussie elegance for 99$ right now. I am sooo debating it. Lol. I want it bad

Lol. Yeah. I hear ya. My encrusted gonipora is my challenge. I'll take a pic of it later when the lights come on. My daughter wanted it sooooo bad because it was pink- so I took the plunge and I watch it like a hawk. My husband jokes that I even count the little flowers that pop up every day to make sure it's thriving

I'd love to see a picture, maybe I will fall in love with it and need to get one too. LOL

I'm a big fan of pinks and reds and blues so maybe it is another option for me. :) I've been eying setosa's too, they seem so brightly colored.

Regarding goniopora's...
...so far mine is doing fine so I'm not sure what people are talking about. Of course it's only been a few months but all indications seem to be that I won't have a problem...

That's the thing. Rather than an immediate decline, it can take about a year to 18 months before they begin to deteriorate.

Having them for a few months is too early to know how they will ultimately do. It's the hobbyist that has them for at least 2 or 3 years that is on the road to success with this coral.

Gorgeous color! Thats exactly the color i want!How long have you had it and do you treat it any special way?

I've had it about a month now. I keep it high up. High lighting high flow. Feed phytoplankton daily and cyclopeeze every other day. Other than that- nothing special

Back
Top Bottom