Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Challenging Corals

So I was thinking I am up for a challenge. What are the more difficult corals out there other than non photosynthetic ones? Is SPS the upper end of difficult? and if so what particular types? I have a birdsnest, bushy arcopora and a blue echinata so far and they are thriving.

any thoughts or suggestions? I'd like very colorful coral as well if that's possible.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nobody? C'mon guys I know youre out there! LOL

I was looking at this coral and would really like to have it

Valida Acropora Coral

Whatcha think? I love the colors...

Old 11-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh wow, that is an absolutely stunning coral, I really like it. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about it, I would definitely look into it though.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Goniopora's and, to a lesser extent, alveopora's are probably challenging LPS corals to keep long term ('long term' defined as having these corals thrive for at least several years rather than several months).
Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Nobody? C'mon guys I know youre out there! LOL

I was looking at this coral and would really like to have it

Valida Acropora Coral

Whatcha think? I love the colors...
I love this coral as well. Maybe you can be my guinea pig and tell me how it goes? Lol
Old 11-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm trying out an encrusted gonipora right now. It's bright pink. Lol. So far it's doing really good. It's supposed to be one of the more hardier gonipora though (or so I've read).
Old 11-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, I have one gonipora already, it's doing really well, I have another one on the way to me hopefully next week.

I'm just looking for a coral(s) that I can be proud to say i can keep. And that are pretty too.

any idea why goni's are supposed to be hard to keep by the way? I'd heard the same thing but so far mine is doing fine so I'm not sure what people are talking about. Of course it's only been a few months but all indications seem to be that I won't have a problem.

Thanks

I'd love to get that arco but it's out of stock lol. I'll have to keep my eyes out for one in my travels.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
Yep, I have one gonipora already, it's doing really well, I have another one on the way to me hopefully next week.

I'm just looking for a coral(s) that I can be proud to say i can keep. And that are pretty too.

any idea why goni's are supposed to be hard to keep by the way? I'd heard the same thing but so far mine is doing fine so I'm not sure what people are talking about. Of course it's only been a few months but all indications seem to be that I won't have a problem.

Thanks

I'd love to get that arco but it's out of stock lol. I'll have to keep my eyes out for one in my travels.
If I remember correctly, when I was researching the gonipora, it said they weren't able to live long in the aquarium because they still were not entirely sure as to what the coral eats in its natural habitat? And water parameters play a significant role in it as well. Needs to be perfect.

It's probably rude of me, but when I'm at my LFS and people look at the flower pots I tell em not to buy it. And everyone says "why not? It's so pretty!" I tell em to research it. And what do you know, the SW flower pots are still there
Old 11-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hmm I don't feed mine anything, I just do my water changes and feed the tank. I occasionally will use coral vibrance, a powdered coral food but thats it. My water is pretty good too so I guess that helps.

You know the feeling I'm sure, you sometimes just want a challenge. lol
Old 11-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Waiting to see what you come up with.

Tags
coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com