Chalupera Toxic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firerescue2002

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is Chalupera toxic to certain fish? I had bought some for my display tank with the intention of putting it into a fuge later on. I have a few yellow-tail damsels that seem to prefer picking on the Chalupera. I have heard that if Chalupera goes sexual it will release spores that reduce water quality and is hazardous to fish. Will damsels and clownfish be affected if they consume the Chalupera?

TIA,
Andrew

Many fish will pick at algaes to a certain degree but unless they are consuming "meal size" portions I would not be overly concerned. Caulerpa species can cause some health issues if consumed to any regular degree but not simple "snacking". if you get my meaning

If you had a tang or other herbavor fish I would be concerned but not with damsels. Personally I would be leary about caulerpa's in the main tank but if kept in a seperate fuge, they are much easier to control. A long as the algaes are pruned and tossed regularly, there should be no worry about them going sexual or releasing toxins.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom