Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2005, 02:34 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What's in your sump?

Old 06-05-2005, 02:45 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to amahler
I agree with you... but I was given this tank as a running system (substrate, water and all) when it was two years or more old.

Trust me, I think this substrate is already in the nitrate factory category.

I'll know more when the final bio-balls are out and some water changes have happened afterward. If they are still up, I won't have a lot more to point my finger at by that time.

This will also all take place in a fallow tank since all the fish will be in QT when the last bio-balls come out.

Keep ya posted...
- Aaron

90G acrylic/22G sump/TF100A skimmer
90lbs (45 liverocks.com & ~45 donated 14+ year old Fiji)
Imperator, D. Saddle Butterfly, 2 Percula Clowns, Cleaner Shrimp and an army of Hermits that never sleep
amahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:30 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
I have crushed coral and i have had no problems at all.. a vibrant white at all times.. i have a golden head sleep goby who cleans it all day long.. as far as getting your substrate out... the cheapest way is some hose a very big bucket.. throw on end in the tank and suck on the other end then wallaaaa here comes the water.. but watch out... put the end in the bucket straight away...salt water is yuk!
the end of the hose thats in the tank grab a hold of that and stir it around.. it'll suck up all the dirty stuff and if u want your substrate gone that'd be sucked up to

good luck!
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:32 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aaron, are you replacing the bioballs with anything?
Old 06-05-2005, 11:59 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lando,

Yes, live rock. I added 45 more pounds before I started the bio-ball removal and will add probably another 45 pounds in the coming weeks.

Right now I'm at about 80 pounds total in the tank and will be closer to 120 to 125 when I'm done.

Even with the bio-balls coming out, my ammonia and nitrites stay at zero all the time (except for a small, small bump for about two days when I added the last batch of LR).

Figure in a substrate change to sand and I'd hope I'd be doing ok in a 90 gallon tank (and yes, I have a skimmer).

Most of the rock is in the display tank - but there are a couple of inches in the sump and I have a piece of "reef bone" (dead LR that tested positive with vinegar) that I plan to demolish and add to the sump as well. It's dead right now, but I suspect it'll seed pretty quickly.

Thanks!
- Aaron

Imperator, D. Saddle Butterfly, 2 Percula Clowns, Cleaner Shrimp and an army of Hermits that never sleep
Old 06-05-2005, 12:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good. You amy want to consider the possibilty of putting LR rubble in the bioball chamb for added biological filtration. If you are lucky, you can get it for free from the LFS. Just have them save up all of the small broken peices from the bottom of the shipping boxes.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
You amy want to consider the possibilty of putting LR rubble in the bioball chamb for added biological filtration.
I have 30 lbs of LR rubble just in my sump... possibly more. Am/Nitrites/Nitrates haven't been detected since a couple weeks after my cycle finished.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, folks... sounds good to me. By saying I had LR in my sump, that's what I meant. I am putting it where the bio-balls were formerly located - and the "reef bones" are going to be rubble soon after I finish a hammer job.

Here's a picture from earlier in the process. There are far less bio-balls in there now:

http://sparhawk.sbc.edu/tank/new-rock/source/7.html

Thanks!
- Aaron

Old 06-05-2005, 02:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Perfect!

Tags
substrate, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com