Changed Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My yellow tail damsel is a darling. She and my clown hang together all day long. Never picks at anyone. Shes timid with the fire fish. Not all damsels are mean. Sounds to me like this clown is becoming a teen bully. Maybe taking him out and reintroducing him? Or rescaping so he doesn't have his normal territory? Level the playing field so to speak?

How big is the tank? It may be a case of fish growing and needing more space. Especially if you have a mated pair who don't want the other fish in their business. You know how neighbor disputes can get.

My yellow tail damsel is a darling. She and my clown hang together all day long. Never picks at anyone. Shes timid with the fire fish. Not all damsels are mean. Sounds to me like this clown is becoming a teen bully. Maybe taking him out and reintroducing him? Or rescaping so he doesn't have his normal territory? Level the playing field so to speak?

Rescape'n to even the play'n field is a great idea

Okay according to some of the old posts on AA the darkening is most likely melanism. Melanism in other animals is a genetic change causing animals to darken as they age and their offspring have a good chance of carrying on that genetic trait. (ex. Black squirrels) According to the sites about fish it is especially common in clowns. Carey's black clowns are an example of melanistic clowns that are genetic. Some people suggest that this is happening in cases like yours as a chemical reaction to certain corals and/or hosted anemones. Food was sited as a possible trigger. Others say it's just part of the genetic aging of particular fish. All of the sites suggest that it is not harmful for the fish and that it shouldn't trigger changes in behavior. The change in behavior, IMO, is just the growth and aging of the fish. It is now big enough to be aggressive and I think that sounds like more of a potential problem than the color change.

I was kinda thinking this mainly because of the change in size as well, all of the sudden it looks bigger too. I guess he's just another grumpy adult

Im thinking about getting another and giving them a breeding tank to themselves.

Maybe we can make some money off of this, I hear they are hard to keep alive though.

Oops, was looking around too fast and forgot
caramel_lg.jpg

It looks very much like my clown too. The bottom fins are completely back and theres that black spot between the first white stripe and it's side fins.

Could a fish supplier accidently sent my LFS a caramel ocellaris with other ocellaris?

Henry405 said:
It looks very much like my clown too. The bottom fins are completely back and theres that black spot between the first white stripe and it's side fins.

Could a fish supplier accidently sent my LFS a caramel ocellaris with other ocellaris?

It's not impossible but then again I would say it's very unlikely you may just have a fish with good genes.

Back
Top Bottom