Changed Clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MississippiFishGuy

Aquarium Advice Activist
One of my clowns has changed in the past few weeks. The upper half of it's body has gotten darker and has become more aggressive for no apparent reason. Anyone know what's going on.

Attachments

• image-1512013030.jpg
    image-1512013030.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 93
Preggers maybe? Looks like you have another clown in there, is this one a bit bigger than the other?

iDream said:
Preggers maybe? Looks like you have another clown in there, is this one a bit bigger than the other?

No the other on is the biggest but they are much bigger than the other two that are in the tank along with them.

You have 3 clowns? Are they all the same species? It may be a food you're feeding it. I know when I had a clarkii clown it started out bright yellow and began to turn brown because of the food I fed it, and the one's at the LFS stayed yellow

iDream said:
You have 3 clowns? Are they all the same species? It may be a food you're feeding it. I know when I had a clarkii clown it started out bright yellow and began to turn brown because of the food I fed it, and the one's at the LFS stayed yellow

I have 4 but none of the others have changed color. And yes they are all false percula clowns. But I feed them different kinds of food.

Its very easy to mistake a true perc juvenile for a false perc juvenile. You very well may have just gotten one true perc.

have the exact same situation going on. I only have 1 clown though. Looks exactly like yours and I recently noticed he is darker on the top half of his body. He also was getting along with everyone and now he will not let my blenny come out of the rock work. I would really like to get this figured out.

man this has been bothering me. Lets figure it out. Ok, I will list recent changes in my tank. Maybe we will find something in common. New 4 bulb T5HO, addition of canary blenny, and I started adding daily doses of "reef solution"

I have the same thing! I have 2 false perc and the smaller one is beginning to turn darker. At first I thought it was due to the lighting in the store was different from my lighting. I feed it the same pellets my LFS said they use so I don't think its the food.

I just went and took a closer look my smaller clown and the possibility of it being a true perc seems highly possible now. I chose it specifically because of its thicker black lines, but the lines seem to be fading a bit now.

So it's not the light or food. But when I bought the clown it was with another clown so I bought it to and it has yet to show these changes in behavior and appearance. Hay didn't we all add a blenny to our tanks if so could that possibly be it.

Hey guy's,
I was always told that could only have 2 clownfish. Is it wise to have 4? I mean will they fight or will it be okay? I just lost one last night and I want to get another one once i figure out the problem that just popped up. If I could have more than 2 that would be awesome.

I have 4 in my 55g for now. I was very careful on which ones I added though. Oscellaris are the least aggressive I read so I have the b&w's and regular old misbarred oscellaris. So far they all hang together and even sleep all together.

I wouldn't go mixing percs and oscellaris or other clowns though. Could lead to aggression issues.

If it's a smaller tank then the answer would be no, 2 would be all. Having 3 one will be killed off as the other 2 pair up and become aggressive towards it. But in a larger system, IMO a 6' tank where there it a lot of room and territory to occupy you could have 2 pairs of clowns.

People have done it in smaller systems, but I wouldn't recommend it, too much of a chance for problems and death for me

I have 4 in my 55g for now. I was very careful on which ones I added though. Oscellaris are the least aggressive I read so I have the b&w's and regular old misbarred oscellaris. So far they all hang together and even sleep all together.

I wouldn't go mixing percs and oscellaris or other clowns though. Could lead to aggression issues.

Thats awesome, How long has that set up worked for you?

I added the last 2 clowns about 3 weeks ago. They are all juveniles so who knows what will happen. I also plan on a 125g upgrade later this year so i took that into consideration when I added them.

How big is your tank and what do you have in there now?

If it's a smaller tank then the answer would be no, 2 would be all. Having 3 one will be killed off as the other 2 pair up and become aggressive towards it. But in a larger system, IMO a 6' tank where there it a lot of room and territory to occupy you could have 2 pairs of clowns.

People have done it in smaller systems, but I wouldn't recommend it, too much of a chance for problems and death for me

I've got a 75 gal and one clown in it now as of last night. If I did want 4 total how would i go about add'n them? would I get the other 3 at the same time or would I add one to pair up with the one I have now then get the other 2?

Oh I also forgot to add, I put them all in my 55g at the same time. I had a pair in a 29g so when I upgraded I wanted the other pair. This way therea re no territories formed and they can all start from scratch.

I dream is right though, there is always a chance that they will fight. Me, I was willing to take that chance based on the disposition of the first set of clowns I had. It's reallty all a crap shoot when you come down to it. Any fish can take a dislike to any other fish, recorded or not.

Back
Top Bottom