Changed QT setup...now having Nitrite problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

In trying to do the right thing, I recently changed from a 10g QT to a 29g.
I had a basic small Whisper filter in the 10g with the standard bio foam block and the charcoal puch. I had no trouble keeping Ammonia and Nitrates down with a Yellow Tang in this tank. So I assume the foam was loaded up sufficiently with bacteria.

The Tang went happily into the main and in came 5 clowns. I then upgraded to a 29g and continued to use the small Whisper filter which was doing a decent job, but at the same time I purchased an Emperor 440. I took the pleated bio-wheels out of the Emperor and left them in my main's bioballs for about 2 weeks. Then I took the Whisper offline and put the Emperor in. I also put the foam block from the Whisper filter into an open catridge in the Emperor. I assumed the cycle was complete and I did not have to worry but it has been a few weeks now and I am getting high Nitrite reading with 0 Ammonia. I have a Yellow Tang and a Scopas Tang in the QT right now.

Any thoughts on what is going on?

I added some Stress Zyme only because I happened to have some. I have not heard really good things about Stress Zyme so I am not counting on it helping at all.

Thanks,
Pete R.

Back
Top Bottom