Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

A stony coral is any hard coral that has a calcium based skeleton. This group is further divided into LPS (Large Polyp Stony Coral) and SPS (Small Polyp Stony corals). SPS are much needier than their LPS cousins. They usually require much more flow and more light. an example of LPS would be a Hammer Coral. Acros are SPS etc. Take a look at Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums for more info/pictures.

As for a reef salt, it's up to you. I used to use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals but it just didn't go very far. The box of salt for 200gallons only makes 200gallons if you're mixing your salt at 1.21 Salinity. It's best to keep it at 1.26 for a healthy tank. I'm currently using Salinty by Aquavitro. So far so good. It's got a bit more Ca and Mg than IO Reef. But I basically use it because it's a better deal at my LFS and it comes in a large 225g size (@1.26 salinity). It'll last me much longer.

But you really should do some research and find what' salt is good for your needs.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly0707

Can you gvive me an example of a stony coral? Also what is a good reef salt?
Numerous thread ninja'ing going here! Ha!

I think you may need more seed material. It's a guess?

You say your sand was 100% dead and you only dropped a net full of cc in. Big net? Little net? I think it'll eventually cycle through, but it'll take longer only given that little amount. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry about asking questions on your thread.....I had some of the same questions.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmyboy View Post
Numerous thread ninja'ing going here! Ha!

I think you may need more seed material. It's a guess?

You say your sand was 100% dead and you only dropped a net full of cc in. Big net? Little net? I think it'll eventually cycle through, but it'll take longer only given that little amount. Good luck!
I dropped in a fishnet full of CC. The fishnet stockings that chicks wear. I didnt have room to fill both the legs up with CC so i just filled up one leg. It is a decent amount of CC if i had to guess since im at work i would say it is about 10-12 circumfrence and going the width of my tank and makes a turn and goes about halfway the length of my tank.

Yea it has been thread ninja'ed, but whatever sh;; happens and as long as we all happy and the fish are too. My guess was it probably needed more seed material too and i did buy 50lbs of base rock which wont help me know, but im hoping that in a week i'll be good since i've survived week 1.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #15

So reefrocks was behind on there orders and they called today and they said that they are shipping my base rocks out today and i should have them by wed. I was wondering how long does it usually take for base rock to become live rock? (just out of curiousity)

Also I still have my wifes stockings in my tank with the old CC in my tank, so it has been in there since the 23 March. It has been in the tank for 10 days and i was wondering if you knew how long is a good time to keep the old CC in there before i can remove it to have the sand seeded? I havent been able to test the water in the past 48 hours and im going to test it tomorrow so ill get those results back to you then to let you know if the cycle is complete or not. Fish, snails, cucumber are all doing fine with no signs of stress. I've been doing 10gal PWC every 4 days. I think im on track what do ya'll think? Thanks.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #16

Had the water tested today and the results are Ammonia-0, Nitrites-0, nitrates-10-20, ph-8.0, salinity-1.024.

Still looking for answers on the questions i asked on the above post so any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #17

BUMP!!
Old 04-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #18

50lbs of rocks were added on the 4 april and im still looking for advice on my posts from above. Any advice would be HELPFUL. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It depends on how much lie rock and sand you have. It will take ~ month maybe. You'll know, the base rock will turn the same colors as the rock you already have.

And you are def in a good place cycle wise.

Tags
changed, cycling, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com