Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey Yamy,

I just did this about 3 weeks ago with my reef tank! I had coarse crushed coral for about 5yrs and also wanted to go with live sand because i like the look better. It was so coarse that i wasn't able to have any sand sifters either, which i think caused some issues as well. My trates started to act up a bit and no matter how many PWC I did, it was fighting me. I was told that the CC "could" be the culprit but it was never confirmed....although i don't have any nitrates any longer. Take that how you will.

so after I transferred 110lbs of like rock, corals, and 4 fish with a refugium with a deep sand bed (which i did NOT disturb) and had absolutely NO ammonia spike whatsoever. I really enjoy the change AND it's kind of renewed my interest again, so win win. That being said, what you want to do can definitely be done with 5gallon buckets, and some coolers.

Good luck!

Tmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The tank has been running for about 2 months with live rock and CC. The two clowns and critters have been in for a month. I wouldn't describe the CC as "fine"........its about the size of any generic aquarium gravel.

Yamyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ideally im thinking I will drain about 40% of the tank into a large Rubbermaid and transfer the rock and animals into the Rubbermaid. Animals should be in there for no longer than 45 minutes. Then remove the CC, Replace with sand.
Then immediately replacing the LR and animals.

Am I dreaming? I feel like that may be way to simple of a plan!!
Yamyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:30 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
That should be fine. The cc is too new to have much detritus built up in it. If you are using bag live sand and there is still water in the dt, I found that submerging the entire bag and then gently dumping it out on the tank bottom clouded the water very little. Just rinse the outside of the bag to ensure no crap is on it and drop it right in.
I would put the rock back first, then the sand, so the rock is on the tank bottom.

mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com