Changeover??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yamyracer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started with crushed coral for the bottom of my 55 gallon saltwater reef tank. I would like to switch it over to Live sand before my tank grows any more populated.
I currently have 40lbs of live rock, 8 snails, 1 emerald crab, 1 shrimp and 2 clown fish.
Would it be safe to remove all critters, the live rock and crushed coral and put them in a separate tank temporarily. Then replacing the crushed coral with the live sand?

okay! Why do I need to put the rocks in before the sand? For a specific length of time before?

So the rock work is more stable, and if anything digs it won't topple

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think it looks a little bit better. But mainly because everyone I talk to suggest that in the future the CC will make it difficult to maintain healthy levels. LS requires much less maintenance. So I figure do it now before I have many fish in there.

I have the same crushed coral in my reef for the past 22 years. The reef is and has been rock solid for a very long time. Each to their own but I prefer crushed aragonite.

That's aragonite, and it's still calcium based, not silica if I am not mistaken. Same stuff I use. As far as live sand, I think it could start a die off from shipping that could cause a ammonia spike in your tank. With a new tank you let the filtration cycle adjust from the bio load in the sand and it sorts it's self out. Not sure I would recommend this in a existing reef. Their ad even mentions this is for a new cycle and to let it run for a month before loading up fish.

Last edited:
How old is the tank and how deep the sand bed? If you are planning on removing this, I would have a large water change ready just in case. As for the "live sand" I wonder what kind of shelf life that stuff has, as there is no expiration date on it. Any sand you put in there will become live in a short time. Your CC is live now, if it's been in there during the tank cycle. How large are the grains of cc?

Hey Yamy,

I just did this about 3 weeks ago with my reef tank! I had coarse crushed coral for about 5yrs and also wanted to go with live sand because i like the look better. It was so coarse that i wasn't able to have any sand sifters either, which i think caused some issues as well. My trates started to act up a bit and no matter how many PWC I did, it was fighting me. I was told that the CC "could" be the culprit but it was never confirmed....although i don't have any nitrates any longer. Take that how you will.

so after I transferred 110lbs of like rock, corals, and 4 fish with a refugium with a deep sand bed (which i did NOT disturb) and had absolutely NO ammonia spike whatsoever. I really enjoy the change AND it's kind of renewed my interest again, so win win. That being said, what you want to do can definitely be done with 5gallon buckets, and some coolers.

Good luck!

The tank has been running for about 2 months with live rock and CC. The two clowns and critters have been in for a month. I wouldn't describe the CC as "fine"........its about the size of any generic aquarium gravel.

Ideally im thinking I will drain about 40% of the tank into a large Rubbermaid and transfer the rock and animals into the Rubbermaid. Animals should be in there for no longer than 45 minutes. Then remove the CC, Replace with sand.
Then immediately replacing the LR and animals.

Am I dreaming? I feel like that may be way to simple of a plan!!

That should be fine. The cc is too new to have much detritus built up in it. If you are using bag live sand and there is still water in the dt, I found that submerging the entire bag and then gently dumping it out on the tank bottom clouded the water very little. Just rinse the outside of the bag to ensure no crap is on it and drop it right in.
I would put the rock back first, then the sand, so the rock is on the tank bottom.

Back
Top Bottom