changing brands of salt water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swjunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am currently using IO and I would like to try Oceanic. Would I beable to mix the 2 in my tank? If I was to add Oceanic to my IO during a pwc.

No. Mixing two different salt mixes could cause your tank to explode.

Seriously, just do your partial water changes with water mixed with the Oceanic. There shouldn't be any problem...

I agree with Reese's second statement. Just start using it for PWC but start with a 5% change, then a 10% change, especially on a 125. I've changed salt brands twice and I'm about to do it again.

I recently switched from IO to Seachem Reef Salt. I was totally out of IO so I just started using it with water changes. No one I know has ever mixed salts.

Thanx guys. I have read that the oceanic has better CA levels than IO. It is for my 10G still havent set up my 125g yet. We got some bad news about a week ago. My sister-in-law has lung/brain cancer so we are planning a trip to go see her in PA. So my 125g is put on hold until I get back.

oceanic has better CA levels than IO
I would not say better just higher. Oceanic is way too high in CA, and IO tends to be alittle low. IMO I'd stick w/ IO and just add some Ca to the fresh SW, or try something other than oceanic if you have corals. JMO

Sorry about your sister in law. And reese you had me on your first statement :lol: but I`ve always been told dont mix so I haven`t. I used IO for years but recently changed over to Oceanic. I like what I`m seeing.

swjunkie said:
My sister-in-law has lung/brain cancer
I missed that initially-sorry to hear that. Best wishes to her.

melosu58 said:
I used IO for years but recently changed over to Oceanic. I like what I`m seeing.
The never ending salt debate! As you can see Swjunkie success can be had w/ most brands available. Best to pick one and stick w/ it IMO.

thank you very much. and thanx for the best wishes. I went ahead and bought the oceanic yesterday. I have it mixing in a seperate tank. I will keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom