Changing Bulbs - lighting acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilanh

Sliced Bread
So, it's time for new MH bulbs. I'm switching from the Reeflux 12000K bulbs to the Iwasaki 15000k bulbs (both 175W).

I know how much more PAR the iwasakis are gonna put out (hence why I wanted to try them), so I know that I'm going to need to reacclimate the tank to the lighting.

Currently, I run my MHs 8 hours per day. How low should I drop that down when I install the new bulbs, and how quickly/slowly should I increase the duration afterwards?

I was thinking of dropping down to 5 hours initially, then increasing it by an hour per week. Is that toooooo slow/overkill?

Sorry neilanh, idk..but taking longer to aclimate I guess would be better than to fast. imo

When I switched to Iwasaki's, I cut my MH lights down to 5 hrs. and increased that by about 1/2 hr every 3-4 days till I was back up to 8 hrs/day.
You are going to love those bulbs....unless you like a really blue looking tank, which you won't get from the Iwasaki's.

Thanks Larry. The Reeflux 12Ks are too blue for me, but I know from my research that they do, for whatever reason, exhibit higher levels of visible blue light than other bulbs rated around the same K rating.

I can add "blue" with actinic supplementation. What I'm hoping to find is a crisp white color from these bulbs, and increased PAR - both of which I'm expecting to see based on my research.

Thanks for the advice on the acclimation, I don't want to cook my corals while I make this change.

Make sure to take before and after pics. The difference will be amazing.
Next thing you got to do is upgrade your reflectors. ;)

Definately before/after shots, and probably even a 1:1 shot with one of each bulb in there.

Reflectors - tell me about it. My reflectors are horrible. However, because of the way I built the canopy, there's nothing else really I can do.

Perhaps I need a winter project of building a better one.

That would be cool with 1 of each bulb running at the same time.
I was using the same reflector you have and made my own DIY Lumenarcs. They are 14.5 x 14.5 x 6...not really much bigger than the parallel reflectors.

My problem is my canopy is only 10" tall, so I can't afford to lose much room, else I limit my ability to reach in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom