Changing from CC to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boreddome

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am wanting to change from crushed coral to sand but not to sure how I would really do it. I do not have an extra tank for the fish so they will be in the tank through the whole change. I am gonna try to remove the crushed coral with an old net but not to sure how to add the sand. I know it will make the tank cloudy no matter what but is there a preferred way to do it? Another concern is can I use (dead) sand? My tank has been up and running for alittle over a year.
90g tank btw
How many pounds of sand would I need and how deep of a sand bed?
Also open to opinions on what sand to use also. Looking for a white ish sand.

why not just add a couple of inches of sand to your rushed coral?

Did not even think about that. And that would stop the huge debris build up in the crushed coral.
How many pounds sand do you think I would need for my 90g tank?

The cc will eventually rise to the top if the sand again. I started out with cc and hated it after 6 months. One of those things if I'd have researched more I wouldn't have had this problem. I fish netted as much as I could and pored sand in with a PVC pipe and a funnel. I got about 40 percent of the cc out. And put a 40 pound bag on top. And now the cc is comming up from sandsifting stars and nasserith snails. And The tank was a mess for a week. Good luck.

I used 40lbs of fine sand in my 90 and it gave me about an inch and a half of coverage

Didn't even think about the cc coming up through the sand. I'm gonna try and get most of the cc out. An do you think I could just add 40lb of "dead" sand?

I'm sorry dead sand meaning what? I would add a 40 lbs bag of Carib sea live sand it will become (live) in no time. Just turn off any flow in the tank before you add it.

"dead" meaning not buying the over priced live sand with the Bactria in it already.

it will take a lot longer to become alive if you add sand while removing all of your current substrate. Maybe doing it in sections will help seeding the dead sand quicker.

Ok thanks for all the help. Will be going to pick up some sand tomorrow. Was looking at getting CaribSea Aragonite Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand it's size is 1-2 mm is that too big? Or will it be fine.

Back
Top Bottom