Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2003, 08:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Changing from NO to PC's, how do I do it?

I am changing from normal out fluerescent to PC's and I was wondering how everyone goes about it. I had a friend that put his VHO's on and he had a huge algae outburst. I have heard a few different things to do.

1. Use your old lights the same routine and turn on the more powerful lights for like an hour at the middle of the day to let them get used to the more powerful light. Each week then add an hour until it is on close to the same amount of time as the NO light.

2. Just use the new lights for an hour the first week, 2 the next week, three the next week and so on.

Are there any other ways that I can go about doing this. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Josh

Old 12-01-2003, 12:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

you can do either of the above methods above, buti would suggest using the first one if you can still use the old lights with the new.

Old 12-01-2003, 02:14 AM   #3

Quote:
2. Just use the new lights for an hour the first week, 2 the next week, three the next week and so on.
I would just use the new ones.. but only break the cycle by half.. if you use your lights for 12 hours, use them for 6 hours, and then increase by 30 min a day until back to normal....It shouldn't be that bad.... I went from 160 watts of NO to 384 of PC and I really didn't miss a minute... I had no problems... The suggestion I gave is somewhat common when changing light sources...
Old 12-01-2003, 09:51 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
One reason for your friends huge outbreak was two fold. The increase in light intensity aswell as probably an abundance of nutrients in the water that the algae could feed off of.

Cutting the lighting cycle and slowly increasing it is a good idea like everyone suggested. Another thing to consiter is the more intense the light the more heat it will introduce into the tank so monitor your water temperature while your increasing your light exposure to make sure the tank's temperatures not climbing due to the brighter lights.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 04:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a fan built in to my hood so I won't have a problem with over heating. How can you decrease your abundance of nutrients in the water so you won't have such a bad outbreak? How would you change your lights from NO to PC's fishfreek??

Thanks,
Josh
Old 12-01-2003, 04:43 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Water changes, using RO water, less frequent feedings.

TO change from NO to PC or NO to VHO you need to change not only yoru bulbs but also your endcaps (vho and PC's are not only hotter but PC's use different types of connectors. You also need to change out your florecent ballast to a ballast that is rated to work with power compact bulbs.

www.ahsupply.com sells power compact ballast/wiring kits. If your current hood is plastic then i would suggest changing that aswell because high output pc blubs can really do a number on plastic hoods.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
changing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com