Changing FW to SW, fish compatability list...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glomgold

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, after doing alot of research, I would like to turn my 55 gallon freshwater tank into a saltwater tank. I don't want to do a reef (at least not yet), so it will be a fish only tank. I haven't started cycling my tank yet, so I realize it will be a few weeks before I can add fish. Until then, I would like to ask a few questions. Here's what I have planned, as far as fish go...

1 Ocellaris Clownfish (4 in.)
1 Fiji Devil Damsel (3 in.)
1 3-Stripe Damsel (3 in.)
1 Lemonpeel Pygmy Angel (4 in.)

My tank usually rests at a temperature of 81 degrees (F), and is never cooler than 80 degrees (F) due to the temperature of my house (which I really have no control over since it's my parents house). After researching these types of fish I found the following information:

Ocellaris Clownfish:
- Temp: 72 to 78 degrees (F)
- pH: 8.0 to 8.4

Fiji Devil Damsel, 3-Stripe Damsel and Lemonpeel Pygmy Angel:
- Temp: 74 to 82 degrees (F)
- pH: 8.1 to 8.4

First of all, I would like to know if these species can be put together in a 55 gallon tank. I would also like to know if an Ocellaris Clownfish can survive (happily) in temperatures higher than 78 degrees (F)? Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I think the word "devil" is for a good reason. They are indeed pretty fish, but I've heard many stories of damsels wreaking havoc and being hard to catch amongst the rock - after they've stressed other fish or caused damage to'm by nipping at them. The again, maybe someone else can tell you that the clown and angel you've chosen can handle themselves.

The Damsels may cause problems. How about a Royal Gramma?
Other than that you should be fine. Many of us keep our tanks at 80 degrees with no issues.

Yes and a wonderful disposition too. You can see mine in my gallery. I have it along with 3 Clowns, they actually hang out together. :)

Back
Top Bottom