Changing out substrate....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firerescue2002

Aquarium Advice Regular
First I might as well give you an update on this tank here is the link of the original post. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=20345&highlight=. Since that post I convinced my friend to trade in the anenomes to the store for credit since he was not willing to go with pc or mh upgrades. Also all the fish have survived the outrageously high amonia and nitrate spikes. An additional powerhead and using ro/di water has nearly eliminated the cyano blooms, still a problem though. Tank spec now are amonia .25, nitrate .25, and nitrite 0, PH 7.8 (is being treated with buffer) And as soon as we get the tank looking better and parmeters down he will purchase lr and argonite sand replacing the dolomite gravel and the undergravel filter.

So that leads me to my question.... Changing out the dolomite and adding about 200lbs of Southdown playsand. Here is what I think would work best. Take 100lbs set up in a large sterile trash can with a few powerheads and a few shrimp to cycle the sand with bacteria. Once that has been done remove half of the dolomite gravel (one side of the undergravel filter) and replace with the now ls. Wait a few weeks while the other 100lbs. cycles and do the same to the other side. What do you guys think is removing half the gravel going to be too much of a shock to the system and fish? should I just do half of the half? I figured it might not be a shock at all especialy since I will be cycleing the sand before adding it.

I like the idea, I think you should leave some nylon bags of the dolomite in the tank for a few days to allow the bacteria to build up on the sand. Even though your cycling the tank first, your going to lose alot of the nitrification ability of the tank when you remove the dolomite.

First off, Where did you get the SD?? I have looked in N Va and Cant find anymore at HD. Someone said they quit ordering at HD.

I like the 25% idea if you keep tank together. I would almost for a tank the size of a 55 gallon, put everything in rubbermaid tubs inclding rock and take out all the dolomite and replace with the "seasoned" southdown. As you do that you can have a chance to scrub the algae off. I would also follow reefrunners advice with the nylon bags. How much LR do you have? What kind of Skimmer?

mrrrkva, It is my friends tank, and he is not running any protein skimmer at all. He basically wants to keep this system as basic and as maintenance free as possible. He jumped in with absolutley no research on sw systems at all.

How much LR do you have? What kind of Skimmer?
about 5-8lbs lr and no skimmer. as for as the SD I have not yet aquired it, I was able to pick my SD from another member off of here that lived near me who got got his from a HD in the Chicago, Illinois area. I am checking with him to see if I can get more... Keeping my fingers crossed :D

Reefrunner69, Thanks for the nylon bag tip.

wow, after reading the post, I figured that out. See if he can at least get some BASE rock, or he will run into alot of the same probs. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom