Changing salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jspires688

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am switching from using instant ocean salt to seachem reef salt. Now my question is how do I go about this do I just start using it when I do normal water changes or do I do a couple of large water changes?

just start using it when you do your normal water changes

why are you switching salts btw just curious i use instant ocean is there a problem with it i may not know? lol

oh ok well i dont have that problem well yet anyway my calcium is 480 and my ph 8.1 guess i'll keep an eye on it

I am switching because I went to a local guys house to buy some coral and his stuff was all huge and he recommended I change he says I will see more growth from reef salt than instant ocean and from the look of his stuff I figure why not give it a try I have to buy salt anyway lol

Seachem Reef Salt is an awsome salt. I used it for awhile the only thing I didnt like was the high calcium. The calcium was about 500 and in my tank that cause calcium build up. I switched to Red Sea Coral Pro which stays at 440 and has not been a problem since. Over all you will like Seachem much better than IO and your corals will love it too!

I recently switched from IO to Oceanic and my calcium levels have gone up from 380 to 440 in a few weeks (a couple of extra water changes in addition to the weekly ones).

I switched because IO wouldnt keep my ph and calcium levels where they needed to be

Was this with the regular IO? Or were you using IO Reef Crystals? I use the Reef Crystals and don't have an issue.

yep, my levels with I/O regular were all good. I'm gonna try another brand though when this bucket runs out just so I can compare. I was gonna try either I/O reef or tropic marin. lol two total ends of the spectrum. I think it's a good idea to try other ones as this will let you find the mix you like the best. Everyone has an opinion on their salt mixes but it's a personal thing I think. :-D

yep, my levels with I/O regular were all good. I'm gonna try another brand though when this bucket runs out just so I can compare. I was gonna try either I/O reef or tropic marin. lol two total ends of the spectrum. I think it's a good idea to try other ones as this will let you find the mix you like the best. Everyone has an opinion on their salt mixes but it's a personal thing I think. :-D

Here's where the classic saying comes in. "Why fix something if it isnt broken?"

If you are moving to another salt to get more of the trace elements if you are getting into more corals, then i'm all for it. Here is a tip for those that purchase any salt mix. Make sure you mix the whole bucket or box before making a batch of SW. Some elements tend to settle more than others.

I'm currently pretty coral heavy so I figure I'd try some other brands and see if i can get more out of it. Also looking for better dissolving salt. :) just wanna know I've been there done that when I make a decision. LOL

"if it aint broke dont fix it" lol ive been using io now all my corals are doing great so im gonna stick with it

Here's where the classic saying comes in. "Why fix something if it isnt broken?"

If you are moving to another salt to get more of the trace elements if you are getting into more corals, then i'm all for it. Here is a tip for those that purchase any salt mix. Make sure you mix the whole bucket or box before making a batch of SW. Some elements tend to settle more than others.

Good idea Chisel about shaking up the salt before mixing it with water! Can't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom