Changing Sand Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwilliams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just wandering when I go to change out the my sand in the tank doing half of the tank at a time could that cause a disaster? Like the tank crashing

It is for the new tank that I am hopefully will be getting and I want to get as much sand seeded as possible. If I get that 180 gal tank I will need over 200lbs of sand to get 3-4 inches deep prefer a 4in deep sand bed. So that the transfer will go smoothly and no crashes..

I`m thinking you mean change out your crushed coral to sand right? I would change out about a 1/4 at at time. Get a plastic piece of hose and when you do a PWC siphon out about 1/4 section of the CC. Then take a piece of PVC and slide the rinsed out new sand to where it needs to go.. In about a week start on another section and keep doing this untill you are done. Make sure you have fresh SW available to replace what you took out.

It is for the new tank that I am hopefully will be getting and I want to get as much sand seeded as possible. If I get that 180 gal tank I will need over 200lbs of sand to get 3-4 inches deep prefer a 4in deep sand bed. So that the transfer will go smoothly and no crashes..

why such a deep sand bed?

I don't know I just like a medium deep sand bed. Not to thin and not to thick.

Melosu58 no not crushed coral I have the Aragonite sand in my 55gal tank and it is not nearly enough for the big tank that I am wanting to get and I wanted to get the new sand seeded for the new tank.

I will probably start out with the 3ins and go from there.....
Whenever I make up my mind on the tank/size - used or new and all that good stuff....

Here's what I'd do - if I got it right from you...

Buy new sand for the new tank. I like the 3" depth too. Purchase new base rock. After rinsing the sand VERY well, add it and start your aquascape with the dry base rock. I did the exact same thing and found a lot of flat pieces. Actually, those flat pieces went in first, really under the sand. Then the sand. Added the new SW, about half full or enuf to receive your established rock from the 55g. Now, you gotta test the water with the base rock in case of ammonia from dried organic matter that will decay again when in water. If the rock is good and tests OK, add the established stuff too.

I'm thinking you can make an easy transition without cycling anything. May have to add the fish slowly. I'd leave the last few pieces of established rock in the 55 until they're all gone.

Boy, I got talkative... :) HTH.

Thank you Ray that is kind of what I am wanting to do. I just wanted to get some of the sand pre-seeded before I get the tank. I have not bought the Base Rock yet that was in another Forum that I have out here. Pocket book is not working with me. So the tank has been put on hold and I am just getting all small stuff for now. I am hoping for a very easy transition without the cycling too.... I will probably put the fish into the 42 hex once I get everything going that way they want be to stressed out. The water in that tank is the same as the 55 gal, nitrates, nitrites and all that good stuff all levels are identical. Don't even know how that can be when there is only 1 fish in the 42 hex and 6 fish in the 55gal. Once I get all my items I will start a new forum on the transition....

I personally would not buy a tank new. I have done it once and never again unless its boxing day. You can find a much better deal for used tank. Usually that size will come with a nice wooden stand and canopy (as did mine). you will also most likely find one with a sump already built into the stand. You get way more bang for your buck used. Sure you will have to move it all and clean it, but well worth the few hours of labor to save hundreds possibly thousands of dollars.

I found mine online and got a 120 gallon with stand and canopy, built in 55 gallon sump with protein skimmer (i bought a new skimmer though on boxing day), had a return pump mag 7, was all drilled with over flow box and plumbing, and as a bonus he threw in a RO/DI unit. I got all this for $300. This would have easily cost $2000 new, maybe more. I kept the sand that was in it, rinsed it, threw half away (he had a 5 inch sand bed, i like 2.5 inch) and reused it. All I had to buy was lights (boxing day 65% off) and LR (bought it off kijiji for $2 lbs of someone). Oh and digital aquatics (cant believe i ever went without lol).

So I had a whole system, beautiful one i may add for under a $1000. You can see the pics on my profile. Now I am selling my old 46 gallon with tek lights and octopus skimmer to get some of the cash back.

That is why I have been contemplating a used tank (120gal) because it does have everything that I need that has been sitting at one of the LFS that I go to and it has been there for several months now and I am thinking that the person who is selling it may come down on the price since it has been sitting so long. But and there is always a "but" it is not big enough for all the fish that I am wanting to get and they need a large tank because a few of them do get fairly big and the 120 will only give me the width & depth because it is the same length as my 55gal tank.

Yes the 120's are 48 inches long but wider and taller then my 55. Now there is a 156 gal tank that is 60 inches long (60X24X24) but I found out that model has been discountinued by Oceanic.

Back
Top Bottom