Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I personally would not buy a tank new. I have done it once and never again unless its boxing day. You can find a much better deal for used tank. Usually that size will come with a nice wooden stand and canopy (as did mine). you will also most likely find one with a sump already built into the stand. You get way more bang for your buck used. Sure you will have to move it all and clean it, but well worth the few hours of labor to save hundreds possibly thousands of dollars.

I found mine online and got a 120 gallon with stand and canopy, built in 55 gallon sump with protein skimmer (i bought a new skimmer though on boxing day), had a return pump mag 7, was all drilled with over flow box and plumbing, and as a bonus he threw in a RO/DI unit. I got all this for $300. This would have easily cost $2000 new, maybe more. I kept the sand that was in it, rinsed it, threw half away (he had a 5 inch sand bed, i like 2.5 inch) and reused it. All I had to buy was lights (boxing day 65% off) and LR (bought it off kijiji for $2 lbs of someone). Oh and digital aquatics (cant believe i ever went without lol).

So I had a whole system, beautiful one i may add for under a $1000. You can see the pics on my profile. Now I am selling my old 46 gallon with tek lights and octopus skimmer to get some of the cash back.

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That is why I have been contemplating a used tank (120gal) because it does have everything that I need that has been sitting at one of the LFS that I go to and it has been there for several months now and I am thinking that the person who is selling it may come down on the price since it has been sitting so long. But and there is always a "but" it is not big enough for all the fish that I am wanting to get and they need a large tank because a few of them do get fairly big and the 120 will only give me the width & depth because it is the same length as my 55gal tank.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

same lenght as your 55??

my 120 is 60 inches long?

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes the 120's are 48 inches long but wider and taller then my 55. Now there is a 156 gal tank that is 60 inches long (624X24) but I found out that model has been discountinued by Oceanic.

Tags
changing, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com