Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2004, 05:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Changing substrate

I want to change my substrate in an existing 125 SW that has been set up for over a year from CC to LS. Do I need to do this in stages or since its LS do it all at once. Also has anyone else done this and what sort of luck did you have? I have about 90 lbs of LR as well. ANy and all info is appreciated.
Thanks

Old 08-05-2004, 05:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to dustybrannum Send a message via MSN to dustybrannum Send a message via Yahoo to dustybrannum
Did you find the south down you were looking for? Could you mix the two substrates together some? like maybe 1/4 cc and 3/4 sand?

Old 08-05-2004, 05:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

No I have resorted to the fact that Im going to have to take a *%^*% and buy some of the expensive LS and be done with it!!
So Im counting the $$ going out of my pocket as we speak. I need some for my new 100 and also some for my 125. I think I want to do all sand.
I think I will do mine changeover a little weird. Each time I do a water change I will scoop out some of the CC as I have about 2-2.5 inches in some places. If I do a little to get it down to 1 inch or so, then I wont have so much to do at one time. Will start buying LS in the meantime and do the 50% change out then and 50% later.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=27

thats from the articles section

I have heard of people changing it all at once, but taking some of the CC and filling like panty hose with it and keeping it down there to seed the sand...HTH a little
Old 08-05-2004, 05:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to dustybrannum Send a message via MSN to dustybrannum Send a message via Yahoo to dustybrannum
How much sand are you going to get for each tank?
Old 08-05-2004, 05:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im thinking I want like a 1+ inch base in each....maybe 1.5 inches in each. Why?
Thats a good idea on the panty hose thing....humm..
Old 08-05-2004, 05:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to arizona reefer
doing this is alot of work ill tell ya that. the meathod i used(not sure if it will work for you) i started a water change, putting old water into a rubbermaid container. then i took out the cc and put about 1/2 of it into my sump(i did this because of the bacteria in the cc) then i added the live sand to my tank. then put the live rock back in. 2 weeks later i took the cc out of the sump.i didn't loose any fish doing it this way. however i did loose a crab when removing the cc from the tank.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I was considering if you wanted selling ya 200 lbs of southdown that I have. How much would you give for it? and what are you going to do with your CC.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have no idea what to even offer as I have nothing to compare it to...since they dont sell it in our area, what do you think is fair? I can meet you wherever if you want to sell it...its your call. i dont know what im going to do with the CC...want it?? :P
Old 08-05-2004, 06:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I sent you a PM....see what you think, I would be more than happy to take this off of your hands!!! Please!!!

Tags
changing, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com