Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2004, 02:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Changing substrate, which kind of sand should I get?

Hi!
I have decided to change my substrate. I have some crushed coral and something else I can't remember (It's some kind of aragonite, but it is smaller than the crushed coral but quite a bit larger than the sugar sized sand)
Anyhow I can't get my nitrates down, so I'm gonna switch.
my husband and I would both like black (I know it's a little harder to keep clean) but I am not sure which kind to get? THe tahitian moon sand looks cool but it says it is not argonite based and the argonalive is just god awfully priced and not totally black.
Is there another kind? If you suggest the tahitian moon sand do I need to rinse before adding?
Thanks for any help or comments
Kellie

Old 02-23-2004, 02:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
See if you can find some Southdown tropical playsand at your local Home Depot. I just happened to run across some yesterday. I bought 200 pounds of it for $26.

Jim

Old 02-23-2004, 02:58 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Southdown is white. You won't find black aragonite. "Aragonite can be white or colorless or with usually subdued shades of red, yellow, orange, brown, green and even blue."
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks, I didn't know that you can't get black aragonite....

Tags
changing, ich, sand, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com