Changing substrates... HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kendodblg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

First time user and a novice aquarist.

I inherited a 75/US Gal reef aquarium from a friend and I'd like to change substrates from crushed coral to something along the lines of Seachem's Meridian.

I want to add a clam and a couple of substrate dwelling LPS' (fungia, helio) and I understand that a crushed coral bed is not the ideal substrate for the fleshy tissues of some LPS.

My question is: Can I slowly introduce modest quantities of a new substrate into a fully established tank (tank was setup 10+ years ago)? The tanks has two common clowns, polyps, two trachy's, some softies and lots of shrooms.

I'm not looking to replace the entire CC bed, but I'd like to create an area suitable for the helio's and sandsifting cretters.

Thanks!!!
KD

You should be able to do it. I changed out my 125 from CC to sand. (300 pounds)
You just have to do it gradually. I did mine in sections of thirds. I waited for about 2 weeks for the sand to start catching up and then changed another third. It worked out OK for me. I don't think you should have a problem.

I would wait with the new additions until your new substrate has had time to mature some though.

Mike

I would take it all out over time so the bacteria has time to reproduce. i would do it in 3rds and add sand as you go. Covering CC will just keep traped waste in the tank. CC is not the best because it traps waste causing Nitrates so it requires regular cleaning.
Add sand to the tank through a PVC pipe long enough to reach the bottom. Pour a little in at a time so you don't get a big sand storm.
What type of lighting do you have....

seaham358 said:
What type of lighting do you have....

Nearly 400W of PC (1/2 10K, 1/2 actinic). Canopy isn't tall enough to go MH.

I'll vacum the CC and push it to the side as I introduce the aragonite substrate.

Do a search for "Tropical Storm Sparky" and you'll see what happens if you don't do it right.....LOL

Mike

Back
Top Bottom