Changing to IO salt mix. Is this a really good price?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found 160 gallon buckets of instant ocean for $30 shipped to my house. Is this a good enough to buy a lot of extra or do places put this stuff on sale like this pretty often?

I think I know the sale -$28.79 to be exact right? I just got a bucket for myself. I usually buy 50gal bags but I really liked this price for the bucket. Great deal IMO.

Don't forget to add shipping, it's like something per pound
They waived the shipping weight fee for the sale and reduced the price by 10%. Shipping was $8.99 for a 160gal bucket and a Ca test kit for me.

Good price, yes. But I don't care for that salt at all. Low calcium, high alkalinity, doesn't dissolve fully even after 24 hours of mixing...but the choice is yours.

malkore said:
But I don't care for that salt at all. Low Ca, high Alk...
Maybe that's why they are getting rid of it so cheaply :p
Low calcium,
I'll agree w/ that-about 350 ppm. Although 350 ppm is not too bad IMO once stony corals etc. start drawing from it, it can drop to an undesirable concentration quickly.
high alkalinity,
I Disagree. It test at 4 meg/l, Steve-S recently posted Kent's has 4.27meg/l Alk. I think IO at 4 is par for the course among salt mixes. It has always worked for me- w/ alittle Ca tweaking since adding SPS.

Buy the IO Reef Crystals instead. A little more money and you get the calcium bumped up to 400 and the alk around 10 (DkH, I have no idea why I latched onto that number rather than the meg/l that everyone else uses, lol).

Better yet take the ad to a Petco and get it for that price in the store and pay no shipping at all on it :)

Don't petco's price match online prices? I'm pretty sure that's who does it... Can someone confirm this?!

It depends on the current PetCo manager. Some will honor an internet price, some will not.
but if you happen to have a catalog with that price...you'll likely get it.

My IO salt gave me 3.5 meq/l, and only 300ppm calcium. maybe I had a bad batch.
4meq/l is high though. According to my alk/cal balance chart, you need 440ppm of calcium to balance 4.0meq/l

According to my alk/cal balance chart, you need 440ppm of calcium to balance 4.0meq/l
I run 425-435 ppm Ca. This is good for me b/c my tank uses 10-12 ppm Ca daily so it allows for some room to swing(I use a 2 part additive daily b/c I have no sump). As I said Steve-S recently posted Kent's numbers- Ca approx. 425ppm and 4.27 meg/l Alk. I don't feel 4 is high anymore or too much out of balance although I did really consider switching salts. NSW is approx. 2.0-2.5 meg/l Alk which many would say is low. I've been using IO ever since I started in '03 with no problems. To each is own I guess :wink: .
I'm just curious Malkore what salt mix do you use and what are the numbers right out of the bag?

malkore said:
but if you happen to have a catalog with that price...you'll likely get it.
I do have a catalog but the sale will be long over before I need more salt. If anyone tries this please post what happens. My local petco charges $22.something for a 50 gal bag of IO. Thanks Phyllis and Malkore.

I have taken online ads to PetSmart and they matched the price. Ironically it was their own ad. :roll:

Ricky@3rdshift said:
My LFS is about 17.00 for a 50 gallon bag of salt and the Local Petco is 21.50.
sdelli said:
my lfs is $13 for 50 gallon bag, my petco is $22
It looks like Petco has a price demand that is not even closely competive w/ other LFS. I'll continue to buy online-premiumaquatics.com :wink: lol. Even w/ the shipping cost the salt mix is less (compared to my local petco/LFS).

My local Petco doesn't have but 4 SW tanks and like 24 freshwater. Only thing I have ever seen there are Clowns, eels, and tangs. 1 time I seen a puffer, and 1 time I seen a fox something or another.

Back
Top Bottom