Cheap light for 3g cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, I'm setting a saltwater tank up for my highschool biology teacher. I'm on a budget and just need a light that will grow soft corals and some LPS (frogspawn, hammer, duncan, acans). The tank is a 10x10x10 cube.

Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm setting a saltwater tank up for my highschool biology teacher. I'm on a budget and just need a light that will grow soft corals and some LPS (frogspawn, hammer, duncan, acans). The tank is a 10x10x10 cube.

Thanks!

par38 or a chinese ebay light

Wow, that's one of the worst photoshop jobs I've ever seen.

I have doubts that light would be sufficient for a reef tank.

This is only a 8 watt light. (8-1 watt leds)

That's 2.6 watts per gallon, I like closer to 3-4 watts per gallon.

I would recommend something a little stronger than this. 12 watts is more in order IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Wow, that's one of the worst photoshop jobs I've ever seen.

I have doubts that light would be sufficient for a reef tank.

I have actually been recommended these lights before. They're suppose to be pretty good nano lights

This is only a 8 watt light. (8-1 watt leds)

That's 2.6 watts per gallon, I like closer to 3-4 watts per gallon.

I would recommend something a little stronger than this. 12 watts is more in order IMO.

What would you recommend then? This will be mostly zoas and mushrooms. Hardest coral will most likely be a frogspawn or or acan. Acans imo have never been very light needy. Just remember I'm a highschool student and my budget is tight. Especially since I bought the tank and filter and will be supplying all the live stock.

I think it's fine for the corals you mentioned, just be careful as you know some LPS and almost all SPS corals require intense lighting.

I assumed so. Over at nano reef I was recommended the wave-point, a used par30, or a CFL. I would worry the corals would lose color under a CFL.
How about a cheap PAR38 in a simple desk lamp?

Por que, i wouldnt buy it but it seemed like a cheap option which i think is what hes looking for
I know he's not looking for something he's going to throw away in a week once it falls apart. I have seen these fixtures. They are made of cardboard, and absorb any humidity in the area.

How about a cheap PAR38 in a simple desk lamp?

I know he's not looking for something he's going to throw away in a week once it falls apart. I have seen these fixtures. They are made of cardboard, and absorb any humidity in the area.
Could you link a par38 you would reccomend? All the ones in my price range come from China and I would prefer not to wait forever to get the light.

Beamswork pico or a wavepoint. I have bw on my 5.5 and wavepoint on 10 and 20

Ended up buying a DIY par38 with a boostLED clamp for cheap. However, it is no longer going on the 3g. As a school tank, at not the greatest school, I risk having coral killed and the light broken/stolen. Decided to keep it fish only and still deciding on the fish. I'm thinking a clown goby. I was hobing for a goby/shrimp pair but I don't think there's any gobies small enough that partner with pistol shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom