Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-04-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to robertfah
Cheap Live Rock?

I found this place in a classifieds ad in my local paper and it states 200lbs or LR for 3.25 a pound. When I called, the guy told me he has in internet shop that he sells it on and gave me the address:

Anyone ever heard of this place? it's about 4 hours from me here in FL. He's got LR for 3.25lb with Free shipping.....that's both cured and uncured. Not too sure if it's a scam or not, but when I called, he said I was more than welcome to drive down and hand pick my LR and he'd give me an additional 15-20 cents off.

Just curious if anyone has heard or done business with this store.

90g Reef
robertfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Someone on this forum has bought from this guy. It *was* posted in the Monthly specials sticky a while back. If you searched you could probably find the thread. I can't remember if the rock received a favorable recommendation or not........Overall it seems like a good deal. 4 hours is a way to drive, but nothing beats cherry picking your own live rock! :P I'd make the trip and try to make a day out of it.

Lagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I know for a fact that joester2k3 and TheChad have both purchased from International Marine Fish in the last few months. It is not a scam, it's for real.

However, be warned! TheChad had a very bad experience with them...they shipped his rock on a Thursday, so it didn't show up until Monday or Tuesday the next week...when he got it, it was in pretty bad shape. If you drove down and hand picked it, it would probably be all right though...

38 Gallon (Freshwater): 1 Green Swordtail, 3 Yo-Yo Loaches, 1 Clown Pleco, 1 Blue Gourami, 4 Otocinclus, 7 Cherry Barbs.

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Looks like a good deal on LR. Just be sure they will help you out if your "over night" shipping is not over night.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to robertfah
Yeah, I was thinking about just driving down and hand picking it, seeing as how I don't have any now and would like to get a couple of big pieces for the base. Although someone told me that I could use base rock for that and it will eventually turn live.....is this a good idea vs. using a pvc base? I've got about 3" of LS already in the tank, wouldn't that hold it?
90g Reef
robertfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
i got 50 lbs from him. I would consider it a level between base rock and live rock. You could tell it was once live rock. NO LIFE what so ever. You are getting what you pay for. The other problem was, it was jus solid rock really. Nothing porous. Check it out since your close, but if i was ordering it, NO WAY!

thor32766 is offline   Reply With Quote

live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com