Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-18-2004, 03:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
cheap mh/actnic

ne1 out here know how to get a mh/actnic hood or retro fit setup for the cheapest
i want to put 1 on my 90
went to my brand new lfs store (they moved to a bigger better store)
it was there i saw for the first time metal halide lighting
and i like it now i understand the hype about mh for reefs

my od lights will stiil be on my tank now , but in 6 months + when i go to full reef i will get mh +atnic lights
love the shimmering effect

another day
another dead brain cell
dont it suck?
greatgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 05:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Buying used is one method. A lot of fish sites have forums for selling and trading. That's where I found my used lights for a great deal.

Paintballs look like bubble gum
14G starphire,150W MH+32W act03,AquaClear 150 HOB filter, 75W EboJager, IceProbe chiller, Remora skimmer, closed loop SCWD mag5, auto toper-offer.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:24 AM   #3
I have a Hamilton MH hoods at pretty much the lowest on the web. Plus you get 6% off that price as well.
captivereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 08:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Keep this in mind: Good stuff isn't cheap and cheap stuff isn't good.

Sure used in an option but when you look at bulb replacement in the near future and the possibility of replacing old equipment it may be better to buy new.

sumphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
You might try this link... It uses a Mercury Vapor ballast with Mercury Vapor Iwasaki 250W lamp. Please note that this set up pretty much limits you to using the Iwasaki 250W bulb.
75 gal
4x65w PC
AquaC Remora Pro
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 03:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here's an incredible deal on a retro kit:

We'll be fighting in the streets with our children at our feet, and the morals that they worshipped will be gone.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com