Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2005, 06:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourPalCM
Dumb question...This looks pretty cool, but would there be any detrimental affects on a heavily planted freshwater aquarium?

My main purpose for inquiring about moonlights were because my SW fish may get stressed out if the tank is too dark when I turn off my standard fluorescent lights. And the only reason why I want them not to stress out is because SW fish (excluding damsels) cost anywhere between 19.99-299.99. For cichlids or FW tanks (I do have one, besides my SW), I didn't even bother thinking of moonlighting because the cichlids and FW fish are so darn cheap.

So the answer to your question will rely on: (a) what does it take for FW plants to live? and (b) what is your main purpose for the light? FW plants need CO2 and a really good set of lighting. In the Amazon, for example, it still turns to night and the moon is visible there too. So I dont see any direct harm for the moon light. It's just that: it's just FW, why spend that much?
Old 05-22-2005, 08:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie1709
It's just that: it's just FW, why spend that much?
East answer: Because I'm insane. I just think the moonlights look cool. Sometimes I amaze even myself when it comes to sinking money into my fish tanks. I worry about saving 50 cents at lunch, but I won't hesitate to spend $50 on some moonlights.

Old 05-22-2005, 09:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

this is the one i used on my 90 gallon http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...154&rd=1...its 36 inches wide..but you could easily get away with them on a 48inch wide....he has bigger and smaller ones too....they are really nice and are dimmable which is rare and are compatible with the lunar tracker if you want to up grade...they are NICE...40$
Old 05-22-2005, 11:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Beautiful lights Mbeef61. I think that I might use those instead of the DIY LED's for my 125. Thanks for the link.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

yeah that what i did and i wasnt dissapointed...works great..hes a good seller too...you just have to mount them..i did it on my canopy..i dont have the lunar tracker...YET
Old 05-23-2005, 03:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourPalCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by archie1709
It's just that: it's just FW, why spend that much?
East answer: Because I'm insane. I just think the moonlights look cool. Sometimes I amaze even myself when it comes to sinking money into my fish tanks. I worry about saving 50 cents at lunch, but I won't hesitate to spend $50 on some moonlights.
Hey now, don't "x" out yourself yet regarding spending more on tanks than yourself. I believe a lot us in the hobby is just like that. It's not really Bad-bad to spend on FW tanks. It's just my personal preference/interest to spend more on SW than FW. But if you check out forums all over the internet, you would see moon-lit 50/50 bulbed FW tanks WITH SKIMMER, sump and all!

There were times that I would rather spend $180 AT ONE VISIT to the LFS and spend NONE on groceries (as in I would feel very very upset if I bought more than $50 in the grocery store). That's just how people are when they end up in a hobby that they are very interested in.

I accepted the fact that I have a "spending addiction" inside the LFS so I cut all my credit cards and leave my wallet in the car when I go to the LFS. (I caught on pretty fast!). I was a SW fish buying addict!
Old 05-28-2005, 02:03 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

we have to put a moonlight in out 75 gallon fw tank...if not the moray eel takes out a balas or oscars eye...everytime

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com