Cheap or Really Good Moon Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I am aiming for these cheap portable moon lighting. Has anyone tried any specific moonlighting that isn't fixed on the hood? Any good brands? Any cheap but great ones? Anyone has suggestions?

Yeah, I will. Any specific suggestions as to the brand or type? Any that I need to keep away from?

Speaking of moon lights... I looked at the pics for the website metallylost gave. And my 35W atinic on my 80gal looks weaker than the moon led's from the site... Will it be alright to use the 35w atinic as my moon light?

I was thinking more of the moonlight that looks like little desk lamps you can twist around. Has anyone used that and does that work pretty well?

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...roduct_Code=ESU-53401&Category_Code=moonlight

I just hooked up three of these to my 105 and moon-lite has officially become my favorite photo period now. I will say that its mainly because of the way corals pop out, so i dunno if you'll be impressed with a FO, but they are very bright, you get really nice defined glitter lines, and they don't affect night time creatures. I thought I had a bunch of pods before these lights, but now I watch them swarm in the water column at night.. As far as use with corals, it make the tank look like a "dark ride" at disney land. HTH

I don't know about the 35W atinic bulbs, but my LED's are not as bright as the pic shows. It isn't really a great camera and I am still learning how to edit them.

Dumb question...This looks pretty cool, but would there be any detrimental affects on a heavily planted freshwater aquarium?

hey thanks mentallylost, ive been lookin for some new moonlights for my sw and also getting some for my cichlid tank..

YourPalCM said:
Dumb question...This looks pretty cool, but would there be any detrimental affects on a heavily planted freshwater aquarium?

My main purpose for inquiring about moonlights were because my SW fish may get stressed out if the tank is too dark when I turn off my standard fluorescent lights. And the only reason why I want them not to stress out is because SW fish (excluding damsels) cost anywhere between 19.99-299.99. For cichlids or FW tanks (I do have one, besides my SW), I didn't even bother thinking of moonlighting because the cichlids and FW fish are so darn cheap.

So the answer to your question will rely on: (a) what does it take for FW plants to live? and (b) what is your main purpose for the light? FW plants need CO2 and a really good set of lighting. In the Amazon, for example, it still turns to night and the moon is visible there too. So I dont see any direct harm for the moon light. It's just that: it's just FW, why spend that much?

archie1709 said:
It's just that: it's just FW, why spend that much?

East answer: Because I'm insane. :D I just think the moonlights look cool. Sometimes I amaze even myself when it comes to sinking money into my fish tanks. I worry about saving 50 cents at lunch, but I won't hesitate to spend $50 on some moonlights.

yeah that what i did and i wasnt dissapointed...works great..hes a good seller too...you just have to mount them..i did it on my canopy..i dont have the lunar tracker...YET

YourPalCM said:
archie1709 said:
It's just that: it's just FW, why spend that much?

East answer: Because I'm insane. :D I just think the moonlights look cool. Sometimes I amaze even myself when it comes to sinking money into my fish tanks. I worry about saving 50 cents at lunch, but I won't hesitate to spend $50 on some moonlights.

Hey now, don't "x" out yourself yet regarding spending more on tanks than yourself. I believe a lot us in the hobby is just like that. It's not really Bad-bad to spend on FW tanks. It's just my personal preference/interest to spend more on SW than FW. But if you check out forums all over the internet, you would see moon-lit 50/50 bulbed FW tanks WITH SKIMMER, sump and all!

There were times that I would rather spend $180 AT ONE VISIT to the LFS and spend NONE on groceries (as in I would feel very very upset if I bought more than $50 in the grocery store). That's just how people are when they end up in a hobby that they are very interested in.

I accepted the fact that I have a "spending addiction" inside the LFS so I cut all my credit cards and leave my wallet in the car when I go to the LFS. (I caught on pretty fast!). I was a SW fish buying addict!

we have to put a moonlight in out 75 gallon fw tank...if not the moray eel takes out a balas or oscars eye...everytime

Back
Top Bottom