Cheap sand with pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you look it up online quickrete is safe for aquariums atleast thats what the manufacture says. Not sure about salt but its good to go on fresh as I have it in 3 tanks

Last edited:
there's always black diamond blasting sand if you're looking for something other than the natural look
sorry couldn't get picture to load

I'm glad to see there are cheaper options that look good, if I was to buy Carib-sea sand 25lbs bags, it would cost about as much as a new skimmer.

My 55 gal freshwater community any my 5 gal pico reef. I used the same PFS from the pool store in both tanks. I bought 2 50lb bags and still have a whole bag left. Wish I lived closer to VA Beach. I would have boiled the beach sand and used it in my pico. Before I had my pico set up for salt, it housed a betta. I went to the river and got sand, boiled it for about 20 mins, rinsed it good and used it in the tank with the betta.

Attachments

• image-402995465.jpg
    image-402995465.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 95
  • image-2856337894.jpg
    image-2856337894.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 91
Play sand will cause issues diatoms grow with silica and play sand is made out of silicates. If you are worried about the price of sand you probably should find a different hobby. Sand is on the cheaper end of the hobby. You get what you pay for

I've used quickrete play sand before and I ended up removing it. Maybe there are different types but the bag I got was really dirty, too fine grained, and was a really tan color.

Play sand will cause issues diatoms grow with silica and play sand is made out of silicates. If you are worried about the price of sand you probably should find a different hobby. Sand is on the cheaper end of the hobby. You get what you pay for
Never had diatoms... to me sand is sand

Back
Top Bottom