Cheap sand with pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saratj1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok who has cheap sand in their tanks that looks great. I'm in the market for 150+ lbs of sand and I want cheap stuff, but I want it to look good as well. So I figure I'd ask you guys what you have in your tank and how much it cost you. Because I don't want to spend $200.

No pics but check out reefrocks.net, they have pictures of their dry sand. Looks good imo, but I covered it all up with live sand anyway...

Try pool filter sand. Looks good and is fairly cheap

AusAaron said:
Try pool filter sand. Looks good and is fairly cheap

I was thinking about pool filter sand, but I want to see some pics of it in people's tanks before I make any decisions. I would imagine once it's in there it will be a pain to get out if I don't like it. Although I suppose I could put another type on top, but with my current tank experience the sand would end up getting mixed up eventually if I had layers.

I used it in my first tank. And about to in my second. Looks good. Think there is different colour and grades though

ForumRunner_20120904_220036.jpg

Here is my tank with quickrete brand pool filter sand.

Attachments

• image-2879778913.jpg
    image-2879778913.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 175
My tank with Pool filter sand from Leslies pool supply.
img_2102261_0_c8d02eff17f04d8db3d9adef9cd05fe1.jpg

Isn't anyone worried about silica content? I used crushed aragonite as I know it is made of calcium basically. Crushed coral sand is not so good for stuff like jaw fish, but I would worry that plain sand would maybe stimulate diatom growth. The reef is covered in crushed coral sand, much made in the digestive tract of parrot fish.

I agree about the diatom growth Greg . With my tank it did seem to last longer than my older tank that I used aragonite sand but in the end once it burned itself out of the silicates it has not returned .

Can I get crushed coral from a local farmers co-op? Isn't it used for chicken scratch? I think I read that on a DIY live rock guide.

Home depot sells 50lbs bags of play sand for like $4 which is what I use in my tanks it works really well and looks nice ill try to get a photo.

bigben2057 said:
Home depot sells 50lbs bags of play sand for like $4 which is what I use in my tanks it works really well and looks nice ill try to get a photo.

I looked it up online the other day and it was $2.50 a bag

PLAY SAND!! I love it!!
1) good pic with Terra's in it
2) my pleco ZUES eatingz a cucumber (lil bit of pleco poo in the picture)
3) the ZUES cave (rocks out of the Chesapeake bay)

Attachments

• image-2136284987.jpg
    image-2136284987.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 92
  • image-1606084557.jpg
    image-1606084557.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 99
  • image-3481360808.jpg
    image-3481360808.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 112
Most play sand manufacturers will specifically say not for use in aquariums, I know a lot of you guys use the stuff, but that was enough to turn me off to the idea.

Back
Top Bottom