Cheato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rare

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does cheato need light to live or just light to grow. How about nutrients overall? How long can cheato live without either before it just dies out?

it's an algae, therefore it does need light. some people have their lights on 24/7 while others have the lights when when the main display tank light is off. but overall, it really doesn't matter as it needs very basic light to thrive.

never tested how long they can last without light but i wouldn't try as it risks fouling up the entire water in the tank.

it will grow regardless of the nutrient level, but then again no tank is too clean to the point where there's not even a trace of nutrient.

I have mines in a bucket at first with light about 7hrs a day for about a month. Needed the light for another project & it's been well over 3 weeks. Still kicking....

ax2s.jpg

v980.jpg

I got that.....Ive had it over 3weeks without light.

Well, it's not gonna help much if it doesn't have lights.

Which gets back to the questions i posted.... I always read now & then that folks with cheato withering away in their refugium. Yet, I have it in the bucket with a nano powerhead & no lights & still alive. I will say when I do PWC that I do swap the bucket. I did that maybe 3times if i'm not mistaken.

It will eventually die without any light. Same with all plants, not just algae. Chaeto is very robust, so it takes longer to die and re-release it's nutrients. But die it will.

Gregcoyote, so what's the issue with reefer with cheato dying in their refugium. I know there's many variables to everyone's reef. But they seem to have all the right stuff. Flow, lights, etc. & me with a bucket & just flow and now & then a change of water.

Good question. There are almost always enough nutrients available and lighting can be as simple as a clip on light. But I have found chaeto does grow in relation to how much light it receives. I grow it both in a soft coral frag tank with a ball of it in the corner and I grow it in my algae scrubber under intense lights and flow. It grows far faster in the scrubber.

Back
Top Bottom