Cheato in a box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
Having a small cyno issue. Cut feeding down to every other day to every two days. Also cut my lighting schedule from 10 to 7 hours a day (led). Do not have any room in my sump at this point. I want to try a skimmer (another thread) and maybe some cheato. Think I could just stick some cheato in a breader box and float it in the tank. It would receive heavy lighting this way.

They make this in tank refugiums which are pretty much the same thing but have a power head do water moves through it. Also, what do you mean every other day to every two days? That's the same thing isn't it????

Ha good point. I feed every other day or i feed, then wait two days, then feed again. It's just 2 clowns, a watchman goby, and a six line wrasse. Reef snow for the lps. Lights are 25 3w LEDs over a 30g tank.

crister13 said:
I would say its maybe the reef snow. Most corals don't need feeding.

Yes, i bet money on the reef snow, ive used similar products and they are overused in the tank adding too much phosphate.

Once a week is all i would do and thats even pushing it. Corals do perfectly fine without being fed in established systems. If anything only a few would like spot fed sometimes.

Your hurting the corals more by cutting back your photoperiod then you are helping them with the marine snow. Cyano and light have no relationship. Cyano is not an algae and does not require light to grow.

In my opinion feed your fish as you normally would and maintain the original 10 hour photoperiod. Keep up on maintenance and cut way back on the marine snow. That stuff is full of phosphates. And when not running a skimmer it can be really easy to create a problem using it often.

Ok thanks for the input I will stop using the reef snow. My corals are (torch, frogspawn, green hairy mushrooms, red mushrooms, pulsating xania, Duncan, acan, green star polyps, candy cane, and a folded brain). I figured some feeding would be good. But I'll stop and see if the cyno comes back. I syphoned most of it out last night.

Lights are from my nano professional, I'll post the tag. I didn't post this in the nano forum however because I didn't feel it was completely nano related. I will continue my lighting period as I do not really have any other algae, and the little hairline that pops up, my emerald grab eats.

Feeding my corals fed tons of problems in my tank. First hair algae and then some brown garbage algae. I literally dont feed. Even though i havent been feeding my corals they are doing just fine...those that werent killed by the brown algae.

I also havent fed my fish in atleast a week.

Well I put some cheato in a clear breeder box and floated it. Drilled some holes in the side to let more water movement go threw it. Hopefuly this plus low feeding schedule helps! I put away the reef snow lol.

Back
Top Bottom