Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

cheato or chaeto...

I have been searching online and I can't find it, is there another name for it? Is it the same thing as "sea matt"? Is mangrooves safe (I mean do they go asexual?) I just got my fuge and someone (Lando I think), told me what to get and I can't seem to find it.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 05:06 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: cheato or chaeto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowninround
I have been searching online and I can't find it, is there another name for it? Is it the same thing as "sea matt"?
It's chaetomorpha. Also search for "spaghetti" algae. Sea mat is a species of Zoanthid.

Quote:
Is mangrooves safe (I mean do they go asexual?) I just got my fuge and someone (Lando I think), told me what to get and I can't seem to find it.
Mangove pods (one O not 2) are great additions for nutrient export. Check several online live suppliers, many will offer ones that have already been SW acclimated and you will have less issues with any dieing. They do best when suspended in the water so only the roots are submerged. Also try to keep the foliage to a minimum in the beginning. Only a few leaves will be needed for photosynthesis and the plant can spend more energy on growing a useful root structure. Once the pod has successfully rooted itself you can allow it a few more leaves but not too many, you don't want a giant. They will also need some type of lighting over them.

Check magnesium often once they get going. They will sorb Mg like there's no tomorrow.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You might try ebay. I just did and got a few hits...
search: "chaeto*" without the quotes of course
good luck
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

ebay is where i got my chaeto, pretty cheap too. Let me know if you need just a little, i'm thinking of thinning mine out and will send you some. Mine came in a ziplock baggie (doesn't need to be kept in water, just moist). I put it in a few months ago and it's doing great.

careful with mangroves, i believe they are trees and can get BIG!

Chaeto won't go sexual, so no worries there.

Jim
Old 01-06-2005, 09:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That would be great JamesR! If it reproduces quickly I don't see why I would need too much. Let me know and I will send shipping! Steve-s, are you saying I should trim the tops? If so that is a releif because I was wondering how they would fit in the fuge lol...I mean it is 16" tall but from the pictures I have seen they get kinda tall. I was also reading that I shouldn't let the leaves get too warm and the light sits on top of the lid. Sorry for so many questions, this is all new to me . By the way I am just amazed at how much you know about this hobby, you must have been doing this since you were born!!!

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 01-06-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh, the reason I asked about the sea matt was because when I called garf today and asked if they had some, they said that they didn't but they had sea lettuce (I think) and some sea matt...I just didn't know what it was.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

clowinround-

PM me your address and I'll send you some chaeto out on Monday. Don't worry about $, it's cheap to mail. If you're fuge isn't ready yet, just let me know when it is and I'll send it later.

Jim
Old 01-07-2005, 12:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got cheato in my refugium and its grown alot! Ill start pruning it soon! Many of us reefers in washington have TONS of it!
Old 01-07-2005, 12:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to SoylentGrundy
I got some chaeto from Ducky, he might have a bunch still.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:26 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh saltwaterteen I never noticed you were from washington. Where at? I grew up close to Portland Oregon...man do i miss the mountians and trees...oh sorry, getting off the subject .

Tags
chaeto, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com