Cheato: when do you trim the bush?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep macro algaes thinned out so the bottom areas get as much water flow/light as the top areas. Otherwise you'll end up with trapped rotting nutrient and the algae will begin to die bottom up. It can sometimes die off with little warning, albeit rarely. Best thing is pull from the "rooted" structure rather than the top or clipping in the middle. Chaeto has no concerns in terms of caulerpicin but still a good habit to get into.

Cheers
Steve

Keep reminding myself to trim mine, sump is PACKED. Brenden, I can send you some if you cover shipping. PM me if you want it.

steve-s said:
Keep macro algaes thinned out so the bottom areas get as much water flow/light as the top areas. Otherwise you'll end up with trapped rotting nutrient and the algae will begin to die bottom up. It can sometimes die off with little warning, albeit rarely. Best thing is pull from the "rooted" structure rather than the top or clipping in the middle. Chaeto has no concerns in terms of caulerpicin but still a good habit to get into.

Cheers
Steve

so are you saying my chaeto shouldn't be floating in my fuge? How does it "root" itself?

TIA

This thread also caused me to check mine and it definitely needed some thinning. My chaeto is loaded with pods. Since I have a mandarin, I'd love to get them out. Any ideas on an easy way to do that? Shaking it actually caused some to just fall out.

Also, do Tangs eat chaeto? Mine hasn't yet. Maybe he's just being picky.

Gatorfreak said:
This thread also caused me to check mine and it definitely needed some thinning. My chaeto is loaded with pods. Since I have a mandarin, I'd love to get them out. Any ideas on an easy way to do that? Shaking it actually caused some to just fall out.

Also, do Tangs eat chaeto? Mine hasn't yet. Maybe he's just being picky.

good question....i'm also wondering if there are any fish that will eat chaeto. anyone know???

every once in a while some strand or two of my chaeto will get into the main, and my whitecheek tang eats it. Not sure if they all do, though.

zenn said:
so are you saying my chaeto shouldn't be floating in my fuge? How does it "root" itself?
malkore said:
chaeto doesn't root, but a wide variety of macro algae's do.
Very true, root isn't an acurate way to describe it but my brain couldn't come up with an alternate at the time hence the " ".

The jist of what I was trying to get across was it should be thinned out top and bottom equally, not simpley removing the top portions as they grow.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom