Check my plan and budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtomHeart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright, I think I'm getting close, finally.

Oceanic 75G reef ready tank...$305
Oceanic Stand (cherry)...........$310
2 heaters (200 watt)...............$30
3 Maxi-Jet Powerheads...........$75
Durso Standpipe....................$20
Amiracle Venturi Skimmer......$65 (adequate?)
Danner Mag 9.5 pump............$75
20 gal. long tank for sump......$30
wavemaker powerstrip...........$60
Thermometer........................$15
Oceanic Glass Hood...............$25
JBJ DX 260W PC light............$250

Question 1: Does the protein skimmer need a separate water pump other than the one in the sump to send water back up to the tank? Does it need an air pump?

Question 2: Anything above that I dont need or am spending too much on? Anything I definitely DO need and haven't listed, like maybe a calcium reactor and CO2 pump (are these only for hard corals?)? Anything I need to spend more on (like a higher quality protein skimmer)?

Let me know what you guys think about my budget and plan so far.

Tank inhabitants: Soft Corals, Featherduster worms, crabs, cucumbers, shrimp, startfish, small number of community schooling fish like chromis and cardinals and gobies, and one or two larger fish like hippo tangs. It will also hold around 100lbs of pacific live rock.

I have one question for you....are you getting all th is from the LFS or from online??

Tank, hood, and Stand will definitely come from the LFS. Almost everything else is much cheaper online. Especially the light. Might even get the Live Rock from online because the selection at the LFS's I've checked is pretty pathetic and prices are outragous.

The fish and coral will all come from a LFS.

Oh yea, I tried to include tax or shipping and handling in the numbers, and then round up to the nearest $5, just to make sure I didn't run out of money before everything was bought. That price on the pump is pretty good, though. I"ll check that out.

I'm not exactly sure on the model of those powerheads, but they were the biggest ones made. Maxi-Jet 1200 I think they were. So if they're $20 at that link, I might get all 3 of them for about $70 with shipping and handling. I'm hoping I can knit-pick the prices down, and those links help. Thanks.

Anyone have opinions on how much I should spend on the protein skimmer and what type and brand? I just selected the Amiracle at random because it had a low price and I had heard of the brand before. Hehe.

Would a $180 Nautilus TE with an appropriate water pump do a better job than the one listed in my budget? And do I need a second water pump just for the skimmer? I'm not exactly clear how the sump plumbing works yet.

Nice! I'm gonna have a very hard time deciding on my Live Rock. But I do probably want to splurge in that area.

I will build most of the underpinnings with base rock, so probably about 50lbs or more. Then I will cover all that with something very spectacular. 20lbs of Kupang turf rock, and 20lbs of Tonga branch rock, or something like that. :)

My biggest problem with Live Rock is that there is almost TOO MUCH to choose from. Hehe.

Well with base rock the best place is ebay. Base Rock 50lb This is the cheapest I've seen base rock around...and the person who runs the bidding does so 2-4 a week.

Peace,
DHS

Back
Top Bottom