Check out my clam.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bioteacher

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just picked this Maxima up today for $65. Gonna name her Pearl. Never seen a brighter blue color. Really excited.

Any experiences with these. I placed her on a small piece of lr rubble so when she grabs on I can still move her around. Right now I have her on the sand as she adjusts to lighting. I will move her up as needed in the coming days and weeks.

From what I understand they like high light and low to moderate flow. Mostly filter feeders /photosynthetic. Can supplement with phytofeast/rotifers/baby brines. Please chime in if I am way off.

I keep my levels at 420 cal, 1350 Mg, 8.5KH. Those good clam numbers?

First two pix are about 10 minutes after getting her in. Last one is about 2 hours later.

Attachments

• image-626914431.jpg
    image-626914431.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 140
  • image-4143177671.jpg
    image-4143177671.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 139
  • image-2575007110.jpg
    image-2575007110.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 142
Fantastic clam and a great pic of it. I plan on adding a Maxima soon too to go with my Derasa & Crocea. Keep posting pics!

Thanks, phish. You have any experience with them? This is my first try.

No I don't. I haven't had a salt build running in a very long time but I'v always had a dream salty stock list running in my head in case I loose all sense a start another salt build. A clam like
yours has always been on it. The color is just awesome! I'v seen some real beauties but yours is a true winner!

Fantastic clam and a great pic of it. I plan on adding a Maxima soon too to go with my Derasa & Crocea. Keep posting pics!

Pictures really can't capture their really beauty! They are fantastic. Now I just need to grow it until it is a foot across. Lol, maybe getting a Lil ahead of myself considering I've had her for all of 3 hours.

Here's a question that I would like answered. I feed BRS reef chili to my corals. Will that work for the clam? Target feed it?

Here's a question that I would like answered. I feed BRS reef chili to my corals. Will that work for the clam? Target feed it?

Clam is pretty much getting its food from photosynthesis. I do supplement my tank with filter feeder foods such as phytoplan for several organisms though. IMHO a good salt mix, good lighting, and good water should keep it happy. What lighting do you have?

Clam is pretty much getting its food from photosynthesis. I do supplement my tank with filter feeder foods such as phytoplan for several organisms though. IMHO a good salt mix, good lighting, and good water should keep it happy. What lighting do you have?

I have two of the dimmable taotronics that you hear so much about on this forum. They do work great. My tank is 24 deep and my lights are about 8" above the water line. I recently found a chip of monti in the corner on the sand and all it's polyps were out and happy. So far the clam has been open and happy looking on the sand. Don't have a PAR meter. Wish I did to have some numbers to back up my feeling.

Tridacna clams do not need supplemental feeding with sufficient lighting. It's really quite shocking, but they are able to synthesize pretty much everything they need. The small amount of protein they need is easily extracted from the water. If you feed any corals or filter feeders, there is almost guaranteed to be enough matter in the water for the clam.
A coral waves little sticky bits around to catch food. Clams actively pull and expel water and are therefore much more efficient feeders.
The maxima clams do need rather high light so try to get him higher once he is acclimated.
That is one of the truest blues I've ever seen in a clam. Fantastic deal! At that price, I'd almost be suspicious! Score!!!

Just picked this Maxima up today for $65. Gonna name her Pearl. Never seen a brighter blue color. Really excited.

Any experiences with these. I placed her on a small piece of lr rubble so when she grabs on I can still move her around. Right now I have her on the sand as she adjusts to lighting. I will move her up as needed in the coming days and weeks.

From what I understand they like high light and low to moderate flow. Mostly filter feeders /photosynthetic. Can supplement with phytofeast/rotifers/baby brines. Please chime in if I am way off.

I keep my levels at 420 cal, 1350 Mg, 8.5KH. Those good clam numbers?

First two pix are about 10 minutes after getting her in. Last one is about 2 hours later.

That is a gorgeous clam!!

Back
Top Bottom