Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2005, 10:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just want to aggree wit heverything skinny pete said and have one thing to clarify or at least add to the discussion. From everyting I have read (though I am a newb) UGV's, cc, and gravel all act as nitrate sponges. I'm sure you can still get the setup to work just fine but are you making up for it with more work, Ie... frequent water changes, vacuuming the substrate, etc?

39 gallon (2yrs) 40lbs live sand. 23 lbs LR (still collecting) , 1 turbo snail, 5 Nasarius snails, 10 blue knuckle hermits, 1 zebra hermit, 1 scarlet hermit, 5 red tip hermits, 1 Green Chromis, 1 Blue Damsel, ? Ricordia, candy cane coral.

135gallon (2 months)
125lbs live sand, 100lbs live rock, 2 175W Metal Halide, 1 175W VHO Actinic (so far). Berlin Protein Skimmer in 40 Gallon Sump. 2 Maxi Jet 1200's. 10 Nassarius, 10 mexican turbos, 10 astreas, 20 Blue Leg Hermits, 20 Scarlet Hermits, 5 Emerald crabs, 5 peppermint shrimp. 1 Copper Band butterfly, 2 False Perculas, 1 Javanese Damsel.
StrongBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:04 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanx for all the help every one. The tank is a jewel setup so no matter what there will be a box filter in it, so that doesnt make a difference because it will just be there. The current from it is strong so i will be adding another powerhead. What base would you recomend without a UGF i.e. coral sand, silver sand, CC and LS. Btw can u mix live sand with normal sand causing the normal sand to become partly live?
Also any one got any links for LS and LR MUST be able to ship to UK. As this stuff is so expensive were I am.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:23 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I have had equil success with and with out skimmers. If you dont run a skimmer you need to be very aware as to your bio load and the amount you feed and have regular water change procedures.

Yes you can mix live and 'dead' sand. Its good to use argonite based sand for your 'dead' sand but if you must use regular silica sand it wont hurt anything. Just try to match the particle sizes.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Plan now.

Jewel box filter (already there though but I will change sponges + add carbon ?)
Add undergravel filter also, with two uplifts tubes running off airstones.
oceans rock and tufa rock. Some of the oceanic in store was with live rock and has many life forms on it, I think, So I think that will be ok as I do not really want live rock. To much money lol
As I will be using UGF I will therefore have crushed coral wich I like now lol.
I have found a light that is the right length and specializes for anenomies and other corals.

In the end I want about 1 / 2 anenomies, maybe some seaweed like stuff. Crabs, maybe star fish and common clowns (2) and this other small one I like.
Its half pink and half yellow. Begins with G lol ..... Sorry thats all I know atm.

So that my plans. I think tank should be fine without lr regarding information I have just done using books and some peoples experience. Most people said that tank would be ok without lr if I only house the fish stated above.

Now I would like to use how often do you feed and water change. Is it as coman as tropical tanks. and how do you make water changes to a marine tank ..... ?
Old 08-02-2005, 05:14 PM   #15
zacdl

No UGF. I think most people are saying no to it. They clog way to quick, and besides it looks crappy.

CC dont get either, get sand (reasons already posted)

Filtration is your LR, but you might want to get a little HOB for mechanical (to take sand out if it ever gets stirred up, catch some algea, etc)

Skimmer is such an opinionated issue, I wont touch it. I can tell you I dont have one and I do not have problems with my 30 (Other than that anemonae getting killed and making the ammonia go up, which was my fault for not covering the intakes)
Old 08-02-2005, 05:16 PM   #16
zacdl

DONT get UGF OR CC.

Read some posts on here, you will be surprised how many people have problems with CC, and always end up wanting to replace it.

UGF looks so crappy, dont get one (If you are set on CC, if you get sand dont get one as it will be clogged)
Old 08-02-2005, 05:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok no undergravel filter then its just I dont have money for live rock especially 30ibs of it. So it looks like I cant go marine
Old 08-02-2005, 05:40 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have done some more research and have found this. 20 ibs of live sand for an ok price. But is it really live sand ?

it says ...

Caribsea Aragalive 20lb

Only CaribSea’s AragaliveTM contains not just the broad spectrum of natural marine bacteria found in the ocean, but additional specially selected strains of marine bacteria as well. Aragalive helps control dangerous ammonia levels and reduces nitrate and nitrite. Aragalive creates a natural biological balance, and makes cycling a new aquarium faster and safer

Price: £20.99

and .....
Old 08-02-2005, 05:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.stm-shop.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh...ml%23a140#a140
Old 08-02-2005, 05:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could I support common clowns with 20 ibs of live sand, tuffa and ocianic rock, and a mechanical filter (jewel box one desighned for tank of this size).

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com