Check this out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got 72 lbs of Lalo live rock in today. While inspecting it for scrubbing, I found what I think, is a colony of sea mats.

Could you guys tell me if I am right. Also, what are its chances of
survival. Instead of putting it in the "soon to be toxic" tank, I put this piece in the 30 gallon, hoping to save the colony. I will monitor the water quality closely and do water changes as needed. The only things in the tank are crabs and a condy.

Well, I'm certainly no SW expert, but that looks very much like the seamats I have. Mine took a couple of weeks to open up. I thought they were dead for a while. Now the darn things are growing like weeds...they seem to like light and some current.
Logan J

Is it a soft mat? It looks like a hard skeleton in the pic. Maybe a blastomussa or a Favia/Favites skeleton?? If it is alive the water in the 30 will become toxic soon enough. To give it the best chance of survival, do lots of water changes and scrub the rock of any die off immediately.

Back
Top Bottom