Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Check ur bulbs

So that was the problem!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Excuse me? Lol

Old 08-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Might help someone. I should have checked them weeks ago but the bulbs are only 7 or 8 months old. Sure enough had a blown bulb.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Problem for what???
Old 08-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Every day for a couple of weeks my sand would turn brown shortly after the lights came on. Thought it was red slime but chem clean didn't make a difference and my flow is great. I feed a pea sized cube of frozen shrimp to my jaw fish dotty back and wrasse every other day and 4 live ghost shrimp to my lion so I didn't think I was overfeeding. I've been limping around on a broken ankle so it's been hard to tend to the tank. Spent a whole day today cleaning everything and there was 1 blown bulb and the rest of them didn't look so good. New bulbs and everything looks great.i guess it might sound stupid but I posted several threads about it and didnt get much help. Not even a year into it so don't judge. I know a lot of people on here give great advice but there's a lot of know it alls too that don't really help at all. Didnt want to get this detailed that's why I put it short but you asked. Thanks for caring.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfighter
Every day for a couple of weeks my sand would turn brown shortly after the lights came on. Thought it was red slime but chem clean didn't make a difference and my flow is great. I feed a pea sized cube of frozen shrimp to my jaw fish dotty back and wrasse every other day and 4 live ghost shrimp to my lion so I didn't think I was overfeeding. I've been limping around on a broken ankle so it's been hard to tend to the tank. Spent a whole day today cleaning everything and there was 1 blown bulb and the rest of them didn't look so good. New bulbs and everything looks great.i guess it might sound stupid but I posted several threads about it and didnt get much help. Not even a year into it so don't judge. I know a lot of people on here give great advice but there's a lot of know it alls too that don't really help at all. Didnt want to get this detailed that's why I put it short but you asked. Thanks for caring.
So you're saying that by changing your bulbs today, your brown algae issue was solved within the same day?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 on check your bulbs and while we are on that subject check your Ro/Di filters as well which are 2 things that can cause pretty major algae issues and are overlooked all to often.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll agree to ro checks. My algea went through the roof. Checked my ro and the meter was reading 77 TDS. Question tho. At what TDS lvl should u change ur membrane.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pulled most of it out w airline tube, raked the sand, big water change. Only small amounts lingering but at least I found the cause. Not perfect yet but much better.

Tags
bulb, bulbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com