Check Valve Problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aw_Ref

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Need some plumbing help. When my pump powers off, I am getting backflow that is defeating my check valve. The water will continue to siphon until the water in the tank drains far enough to break the siphon of the water return, all the while slamming (loudly) the flapper in the check valve. To this point I have been able to manage the backflow with the extra capacity in the sump and by keeping the water returns aimed high toward the front glass (instead of pointing down) so the the siphon is broken quicker. My fear is that the returns may slip so they are pointed downward, increasing the amount of water that must drain before the siphon in the main tank is broken.

I'm not sure if the problem is something I will have to live with, or if I need to replace the check valve. The check valve is less than a year old and I would have thought it would have lasted longer. Any other "tricks of the trade" that I can apply to sleep well while out of town knowing that it would be pretty tough to overflow the sump?

I wolud go for a replacement. Buy a bunch. They are cheap. Put two of them in series, if in doubt and if the pump has sufficient pressure to overcome added resistance ...

generally 1 inch check valves are not cheap, they are like 20 bucks a pop ( talking true union 1 " socketed ). Compared to a 1/4 standard check valve at a dollar.

Try replacing it. If that doesnt work then you are going to have to lower the water level in your sump to be able to handle the overflow.

SirLight,

Yep, it's a 1 inch true union. Wanted to make sure I have going down the right path before forking out $20+ bucks for no reason. Thanks for the response. Hoping that takes care of it.

I've seen some other posts that talk about replacing the spring and flapper inside the check valve. Doesn't look possible. Anyone done it before? Where'd you get the parts?

Thanks,

David

Its possible to replace the spring and flapper. The two ends stay connected to the pipe and you just replace the insides. I havent seen any rebuild kits or anything so i wouldent even know where to start with that. Maybe you could find a stiffer spring that would really snap closed and stay closed if you really had that much of a problem. Did it work before and just recently took a dump ?

SirLight - Yes, it worked without a problem for a few months then started giving me trouble. I cleaned it well, but that didn't seem to help.

Think I'll just take your original advice (and what Jason repeated) and buy a new one. Thanks to all for the help once again.

David

Drill a small hole in the returns just below the water line. If you lose power once the water line reaches the small hole it will break the siphon. This way you can point your returns where you want and not have to worry about the valve.

Back
Top Bottom