Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2005, 09:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

chemi-clean

Greetings,I am experiencing the first cyano out break in my salt tank and before it gets out of control i was thinking about using a product called chemi-clean by boyd enterprises.I guess my question is does anybody have any experience with this product?The tank is a 35 gal hex and has been up for a little over 10 months.I think the last piece of lr i added may have contributed to the outbreak. TIA

Old 10-15-2005, 12:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have used Chemi-clean with a lot of success in the past. It does a great job of removing exsisting cyno from the tank. That being said, it is VERY important to find the underlying cause of the cyno and correcting it to keep it from coming back. I suggest testing for PO4 and using RO/DI water for all water changes and top-offs. If you do not find and correct the source of the cyno it will just keep coming back.

Old 10-15-2005, 01:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Erythromycin is an antibiotic used to treat certain infections caused by bacteria and since erythromycin is the main ingredient in ChemiClean, it will kill the cynobacteria. Be sure and follow the directions on the bottle. But, as Lando says, you need to find the source of the phos...underskimming, overfeeding, etc.

29-gal: PCs,LR,LS,Skimmer,Fish,Soft corals (Born 9-04)
No_Floaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 03:51 PM   #4
steve-s

Chemi clean does not contain erythromycin, it is an oxidizer not an antibiotic.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-15-2005, 06:32 PM   #5

Sounds like maybe high phosphates. Try a binder, turn up your skimmer so it wet skims, and consider replacing your bulbs. Most only last 8 - 12 months. Chemi-clean does work but doesn't address the root cause of your problem. Good luck!

KG
Old 10-15-2005, 08:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to djlynch Send a message via MSN to djlynch
Chemi clean ROCKS!!! Had some cyano in my 125 reef a few weeks ago due to some dead spots and low flow areas on the sand, used it, POOF = No more cyano none of my corals or inverts got sick.... would DEF use again.

If you think its due to the last piece of LR, is it blocking some flow areas on the sand? you might want to reposition powerheads if that could be the cause.

HTH
Old 10-16-2005, 01:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Chemi clean works nicely. I had to use it twice but it did knock out my cyano.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In my case, Chemi-clean didn't do it. It turned out to be under skimming. A new, much higher capacity skimmer solved my problem in 48 hours.
40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:36 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

steve-s , you are right. I've been misled for quite awhile about this. Thank you for pointing that out. That would explain why some people have troubles in their tanks after using an antibiotic instead of Chemiclean.

http://reefshow.com/html/modules.php...rticle&sid=109

29-gal: PCs,LR,LS,Skimmer,Fish,Soft corals (Born 9-04)
No_Floaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:12 AM   #10
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
In my case, Chemi-clean didn't do it. It turned out to be under skimming. A new, much higher capacity skimmer solved my problem in 48 hours.
Quite a common problem really. Sorbant products can only remove inorganic forms of PO4. Skimming and water changes using a pure water source are the only means of removing organic forms unless broken down biologically within the tank.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
chemi, clean

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com