Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2006, 11:28 AM   #11
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've got a Nano Cube... So it's got a mix of both white and blue florescent tubes and they are strong! I don't plan on stocking the tank with any demanding/aggressive corals. Maybe get some Xenia and some easy leathers or mushrooms.

The cube came with three square spongs that you shove into the back sump/filter area. On the left hand side in the first chamber. The 2nd chamber contained ceramic rings and bio-balls which i removed!!! The 2nd chamber houses my carbon now. The third chamber house my nano skimmer and the return pump.

I plan on doing water changes pretty freqently - 10-20% every week. Prob squeeze out the sponges every 2 or so weeks...

The tank is in the bedroom and my significant other can't stand the sound of the protein skimmer so I have it off for 8 hours at night while we're sleeping. That's a whole other challenge on its own! LOL.

I did upgrade my return pump though. It was rather weak... 100 gph... to a maxi-jet 900.. which is about 200 gph.

what kind of aquarium do you have?

Old 03-24-2006, 11:38 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Sounds good You could also put lr rubble where the bio-balls were. All tank info is located in the button. You can add yours in your settings

P.S.
If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Old 03-24-2006, 12:09 PM   #13
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh yeah! The bold links are nifty! I told a friend the other day that my tank has "new tank syndrome" and he said... The only thing that has new tank syndrome is you! heh

LOL

Old 03-24-2006, 12:22 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I’ve got 20+ years in dealing with fw & brackish but salt is relatively new to me as well since I just started my tank last August. I’m a voracious reader of everything and have learned tons on this site. Biggest adjustment for me was the longer acclimation process needed for sw versus fw/brackish and the limited fish load that sw can handle but other then that it’s been smooth sailing 8)
Old 03-24-2006, 02:12 PM   #15
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I used to have a pretty large freshwater aquarium. Lots of fun and some turtles as a whole other setup. That was a while ago though.

Hey, if my pH is at 8.0 exactally is that bad? And how do I bring it up and get it to stablize at 8.2? Will that happen when I do a PWC?

So 14 days in, do you think I'd be wrecking my tank if I got a hermit crab and maybe some snails? I guess they'll eat the algae... What do you think? Or should I play it really safe and wait yet another week?

LL
Old 03-24-2006, 02:21 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

8.0 ph is fine and I wouldn’t mess with it. Fluctuations in ph with a new tank is very common and will balance out on it’s own over time. It will not have any affect on fish/inverts either. Do you know what your alk/ca levels are currently?

I would either add a small shrimp to keep your bacteria going or add a inverts. If you don’t soon the bacteria you do have will slowly die off since there is no nh3 source.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:49 PM   #17
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

alk is hardness? i think it's pretty high like 240 or 300.. I forget. I have those notes at home.

When you say inverts do those include shrimps, hermit crabs and snails? or are those some corals as well?

Thanks!! I think I will get something small to put in this weekend then. If I do get shrimp or hermet crab then do I need to do a PWC for one or two specimens? Thoughts? what do shrimp eat?

LB
Old 03-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I would start with hermits and snails and hold off on shrimp and corals for a couple of months. Both shrimp and corals require pretty high quality water and if you got a nh3/no2 spike it could kill them off quickly.

Doing the pwc couldn’t hurt and is generally recommended. My main concern is that you have never had any signs of nh3/no2 and still have 0 no3. That leads me to believe there was very little die-off from your lr or your lr had sufficient bacteria to handle any increase in nh3. Going very slow at this point will save you headaches of having your tank re-cycle and will give your tank time to develop more bacteria.

Hermits and snails put off very little nh3 but over the course of a month to two just feeding them will help to build it up and then I would add one fish or you could add a small 2”-3” fish now and closely watch your water parameters performing 20% pwc as needed if you do get any detectible nh3/no2.

As far as feeding goes for the tank I would vary between quality po4 free flakes like Ocean Nutrition Formula one and two or NutraFin Max Marine Flake but mostly feed a good frozen mixture like Marine Cuisine thawed in tank water and rinsed in ro/di before adding to tank.

When you get fish I’d soak the frozen for an hour or two in Kent Marine Zoe or Selcon to ensure they get all their vitamins needed.

Feed sparingly every other day and watch for any uneaten food and feed less if most is not consumed within 5 minutes.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:21 PM   #19
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

So hermit crabs and snails can't survive on the substrate and algae alone and need additional food just like fish?

Sounds all good. I'm going to take it slowww, I'd hate to crash at this point!!! Oh yeah, and what do I do about the lights? Leave them on or off?

LL
Old 03-24-2006, 04:30 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

In larger tanks with 1.5-2 lbs of lr per gal they do just find scavenging but with a smaller tank and the fact that there wouldn’t be the traditional left over scraps from feeding a fish I would supplement with small quantities of frozen/flake to ensure they get enough to eat. Once you get a fish then the leftovers should be enough with the occasional extra little bit after the lights go out for the scavengers.

Lighting should be no more then 12 hours a day and if you want to enjoy the tank at night I’d recommend putting the lights on a timer. I have my timer set for 9am to 9pm.

Tags
carbon, chemi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com