Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2006, 07:28 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you know if this a Nano Cube or Nano Cube Deluxe? the difference wll be in the lighting. I would ditch all of the sponge filters, bioballs and ceramic rings that came with the unit. Here is what I did...I fillted the first chamber halway up with LR rubble. On top of that goes my Chemi-pure and Poly Filter pad. the second chamber is filled up completely with LR rubble. The thrid one holds more LR rubble, the return pump (upgraded to Maxi-jet 606) and my heater. I also added a second powerhead to in the inside of the tank.

Old 03-24-2006, 07:36 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here are some pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadable_pics_002_848.jpg (216.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 12gal_nano_reef__06-05-05_585x438_489.jpg (119.7 KB, 37 views)

Old 03-24-2006, 08:58 PM   #23
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

nice tank! very cute and you've got some great looking fish as well. what's the purple one with the green tail called? six line wrasse or??

so no sponges eh? but i have OCD!!! what will trap all the crap? are sponges really that bad? i hear so many mixed messages about sponges. some of them think they are fine others say ditch them. can it really make your NO3 sky rocket? can i keep one sponge?

also, i'd love to throw in some live rock in the back..rubble that is. i have some questions though,,, can i just throw some in now that my tank has finished cycling and i'm putting things in it (i just got 7 snails)? or do i have to cycle the LR seperatly (like in a bucket) and then put them in my tank? also does the live rock ever need to be replaced? does it need light? prob not, right?

i have the nano 12 gallon delux... 2005 model...late 2005. i upgraded my pump to a maxi-jet 900... 230 gph... the pump that came with the cube was awful... only 100 gph...

how do you manage keep your tank cool? mine tends to overheat when the lights are on.

Lloyd
Old 03-24-2006, 09:15 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
what's the purple one with the green tail called? six line wrasse or??
Yup! It is a grat fish. I origianlly got it for isopod control but decided to keepit long-term.
Quote:
so no sponges eh? but i have OCD!!! what will trap all the crap? are sponges really that bad?
they are not the best. They really can cause a big increase in NO3 if not cleaned properly. Just cut some Poly Filter pads or PURA pads to fit in the first chamber. Much better.
Quote:
also, i'd love to throw in some live rock in the back..rubble that is. i have some questions though,,, can i just throw some in now that my tank has finished cycling and i'm putting things in
As long as the rubble is fully cured from the LFS there sould not be a problem.
Quote:
how do you manage keep your tank cool? mine tends to overheat when the lights are on.
Has not been a problem. Mine is in the family room in the basement where it is cooler.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:07 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
The Poly Bio Media Pads in particular. Other filter pads don’t compare. I use these as well in the sump and they change color as they absorb the chemicals. Great product as well

If you can’t keep the room temp around 70 and still have problems you can make a DIY chiller
Old 03-25-2006, 02:00 PM   #26
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

So I did some test today:

pH 8.0
Amonia 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - about 10
Alk 3.20
Calcium 470

My first question is should I do a PWC (20% and squeeze out my sponges seeing as my NO3 reading was 10 or leave it be?) ?

And how do I get my Calcium down? Does it matter? It's slightly high. Can't imagine that being bad?

Thanks guys!!!
Lloyd

PS: if i use a poly pad or Magnavore PURA Filtration Pad then ummmm,,, is that in addition to the Chemi-Pur or do they do the same things? Or do I use both?
Old 03-25-2006, 02:45 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

CA readings between 350-500 ppm are OK. Anything above or below should be corrected and you want to try to keep it around 400-450 ppm for a reef setup. Personally I use C Balance to maintain ca levels. I’d test the ca reading from the pwc water and if it’s above 400 ppm then you might want to try a different salt. Most salts have a lower reading and need to be supplemented slightly.

You can use the pad and media and yes they essentially do the same thing but the pad will also help trap waste.

I forgot to mention that as long as your temp doesn’t go over 82 then cooling isn’t necessary. It’s more important to maintain one temperature then to have it constantly fluctuating. Keeping your heater setting at the maximum temp your tank gets during the day so it maintains that temp at night would be ideal as long as it doesn’t go over 82.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #28
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

What about the NO3 reading of 10? Should I do a water change? Squeeze out my sponges?
Old 03-25-2006, 08:53 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Squeezing/cleaning them is only a short term solution. As lando recommended I’d ditch them once you get lr rubble. An no3 reading of 10 isn’t too high for fowlr but you definitely wouldn’t want it any higher then 10 ppm for a reef tank.

You can either do a pwc or wait till it gets to the next level. It won’t have much effect on your lr or snails. How long did you acclimate your snails for? Did you get any hermits? What type of snails did you get? Have you removed any algae yourself?

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:02 PM   #30
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sounds like sound advice. Thanks!

I acclimated my snails for an hour... slow drip. They are doing fine. I got 3 turbo snails, 2 bumblebee snails and 2 sand sifter snails... to start. They didn't have any red hermit crabs in stock. I'll have to pick up those next week.

I removed some algae. Yes. But right now the snails are hard at work and look like they are enjoying themselves!

Question. Can I keep prepared saltwater (water I've prepared in 1 lumb some bi-weekly) in a bottle and ready to make PWC every week? Or does it go bad if it isn't moving constantally? I'd only be keeping 1 bottle of it bottled for 1 week. The other bottle would go str8 into the tank until the next week when I'd prepare two PWC again and keep one for the following week... Thoughts?

Tags
carbon, chemi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com