Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2006, 10:19 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Hopefully an hour was long enough. Snails ime need a longer acclimation of 3 hours to adjust to the differences of ph/sg from the lfs to your tank. Of course if the lfs keeps their tanks close to the same sg/ph that you have then it’s less of a big deal. Since I keep my sg at 1.025 and my lfs keep theirs at 1.018-1.020 I don’t trust anything less then 3 hours myself. Once properly acclimated snails are very hardy. Just watch them closely over the next two weeks and if you have no deaths then you should be fine after two weeks.

Well since I have a larger tank I keep SW mixed at all times in a 30 gal uncovered trashcan on wheels. I just roll it out once a week to perform my weekly 10% pwc of 6 gal in less than 10 minutes. I keep a ph/heater in it at all times personally and keeping premixed SW on hand is always a good idea, especially when dealing with smaller tanks which can be harder to control.

I’d keep a 5 gal bucket mixed with a small ph running in case you come home one day and your readings are way off so you would be able to do a quick 40% pwc. Mixing water for at least 8 hours and preferably 24 hours prior to using is recommended for the salt to fully dissolve. Adding newly mixed SW to a tank can be toxic to fish/inverts/coral if not properly dissolved. Of course matching new water’s ph/sg/temp to the main is critical also so you don’t send your fish into osmotic shock.

If you don’t want to keep a ph running in the bucket all the time then remix the water for at least an hour before using again to properly aerate it again.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:10 AM   #32
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok, that makes a lot of sense! thanks, again.

so i've got my bucket here and i'm getting ready to make my water change. i've got it at 1.025 and my pH is 8.0 just —*same as my tank... Question though,,, if for example my pH in my tank was 8.2 or 8.3... and my new salt water was 8.0 how would i get my new salt water's pH up to 8.2/8.3? Or does it matter? That's the only thing that really confuses me. Should I test the pH of the new water before putting into the tank... Even if my SG is exactally the same in the tank and in the bucket?

Thanks again! You have been SO helpful. I can't thank you enough.
Lloyd

Old 03-26-2006, 08:20 AM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

A lot of it depends on the volume of the pwc you plan on doing. If only 10%-20% then getting it “close” is fine. If doing 50+% then having it exact is more critical. Keep in mind that when you first test sg when mixing you will get a higher reading and after 3+ hours your sg reading should be slightly lower and you may have to adjust again.

Also a slightly lower ph is always better then a higher one since fish adjust to lower ph much quicker then a rising one. As long as it isn’t too drastic like 7.8 versus 8.4 I wouldn’t buffer unless doing a 50+% pwc.

Same goes with temp of pwc. If only doing 10% then getting it within 5-10 degrees (colder then main) isn’t going have much effect but if doing a larger pwc please heat the water to within 2 degrees to cause little stress to your tanks inhabitants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2
Thanks again! You have been SO helpful. I can't thank you enough.
Glad I’ve been able to help There are tons of other great people on this site that have helped me as well.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:10 AM   #34
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

So I hear chemi-pur will raise my pH slightly... The next time I do a water change... and if it's a big one,,, how do I get my new water's pH up from 8.0? do you throw a pack of chemi pur in the bucket with a power head or?

Old 03-26-2006, 10:46 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.boydenterprisesonline.com/pages/2/index.htm
I have not heard of Chemi-pur affecting Ph. Not to say it won't. The best way to try and raise your new SW"s Ph is to let it age and aereate for 24-48hrs. Drop in a powerhead and position it so the current breaks the surface of the water. I also use an airstone when I mix SW. Leaving the lid off the container is good as well. A Ph of 8.0 is not really too bad anyways. Check the Ph of your tank in the morning after all the lights have been off all night and see what it is.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #36
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Do you guys like Phos-Zorb? Or is RowaPhos better? I've got some Phos-Zorb here. I haven't stuck it in yet. So far I've got the Chemi-Pur in and the snails are hard at work on the algae... Should I throw in the Phos-Zorb or wait?

Lloyd
Old 03-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is your current PO4 level? The Chemi-Pur will help with PO4 but depending on source water levels it may be a boost.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:01 PM   #38
L2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I gotta get a PO4 kit... Still don't have one yet.

What brand of fish food do you guys recommend? Kents or??
Old 03-27-2006, 09:49 AM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

I would vary between quality low po4 flakes like Ocean Nutrition Formula one and two or NutraFin Max Marine Flake but mostly feed a good frozen mixture like Marine Cuisine thawed in tank water and rinsed in ro/di before adding to tank.

Edit: I provided links mostly for photo identification. I wouldn’t recommend ordering frozen from the net since your lfs should have it readily available for around $3-$4 per package. If your lfs doesn’t carry San Francisco Bay Brand frozen then it can be shipped overnight with dry ice.

Tags
carbon, chemi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com