Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Chemi-pure promises Zero water changes, Ever!

I know many avid reef aquarists praise chemi-pure elite as a miracle for fishes, and this I believe.

But can you really stop water changes?

Apparently chemi-pure has been running their test reef tanks for 5+ years without adding a drop of salt water.
Source: Chemi Pure Elite 11.74oz - Ocean Aquatics Ltd.

My friend's reef tank runs with No filter and No Skimmer!
It's becoming obvious to me that as delicate as reef aquariums are, some Big corners can be cut.

Also chemi-pure claims to be a perfect buffer and you can just dump in new fish as chemi-pure prevents the tank transfer shock.

It's good, but is it this good?

What are your thoughts?

Old 02-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Not true IMO. Two reasons for PWC`s. 1) To dilute excessive nutrients. Some time or another the media has to be exhausted. It will leach back into the tank 2) The second purpose is to replenish trace elements into the tank. PWC`s are the best way to do this. Marine salts have all the trace elements you`ll need.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by krourke View Post
...But can you really stop water changes?...
Sure... it's your tank, you can do whatever you want. Just don't expect it to be successful.

Quote:

My friend's reef tank runs with No filter and No Skimmer!
It's becoming obvious to me that as delicate as reef aquariums are, some Big corners can be cut.
I wouldn't say a reef tank with no filter or no skimmer is cutting corners. A separate filter isn't required at all, and while a skimmer is a good thing to have it's not a requirement. It all depends on the bioload, feeding habits, maintenance habits, blah blah blah.

Quote:

Also chemi-pure claims to be a perfect buffer and you can just dump in new fish as chemi-pure prevents the tank transfer shock.
That's kind of funny because buffering doesn't have anything to do with "tank transfer shock". If you add too many fish all at once, you'll end with an excess of ammonia while the bacteria catch up to the bioload. This is what often kills things when too much is added all at once. If Chemi-pure adsorbs ammonia (not sure if it does, or not), then I can see where the claim *might* be made. But it's just easier (and kinder to your fishy friends) to not dump a ton of fish in all at once in the first place. Slow and steady wins the race.

What will normally hurt fish during introduction from one tank to another is the mismatch of pH and salinity. Too sudden of a change on either one of those things can cause problems. I'm not aware of any miracle stuff that can make those things better, except proper acclimation procedures.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by krourke View Post
Apparently chemi-pure has been running their test reef tanks for 5+ years without adding a drop of salt water.
Did they manage to cure evaporation too then?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wheatley View Post
Did they manage to cure evaporation too then?
I'm not saying they are right or wrong but they said "Salt Water". I'm sure they are claiming to top off with RO/DI or something else.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for everybodies advice. You guys rock!

Tags
change, chemi, elite, pure, water, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com