Chemical Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anybody have a type of chemical filtration that they highly recommend? Right now I am using Chemi Pure but I have plenty of room in my wet/dry to add something else in addition to the Chemi Pure. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'm a big fan of using a quality GAC. Along w/ that a PO4 reducer such as rowaphos, phosban, phospure(Less $) can help reduce algae problems, dull coral colors, and the other issues that go along w/ elevated PO4 levels(above ~.03 ppm). If you use a PO4 reducer start at half the recommended amount and go from there while monitoring things at first.

usmcmarc said:
Use Chemi-pure Elite and Purigen here.

Don't these 2 accomplish pretty much the same thing really. I know phosban is to control phospate's. And that Purigen is kind of similar to carbon but it does not strip as much of the good stuff from the water as carbon which is why I started using purigen instead. But what does chemi-pure do differently from Purigen??

I did a little reading (and I could be wrong) but the Chemi-pure elite looks like it serves the same purpose as phosban. Purigen absorbs ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes, it also polishes the water and can be recharged. Keep in mind GAC is great stuff if you need to clean out certain meds and possible (I forget what it is called....reefers, help out here) sloughing (sp?) and chemical warfare between corals, but has a shorter life.

Purigen is like GAC on steriods. Plus it does not release any toxins back into the water once it's used up.

Yes Chemi Pure is similar in it's action, but it also claims to remove any traces of copper. It also has ferric oxide which is supposed to remove silicate and Phosphates.

I figure that with the $ I have spent on livestock/corals/equipment, whts a few more bucks for some extra filtration media.

I just started using the Chemi Pure beacuse I wanted to try to get my nitrates down closer to zero (along with my weekly PWC's). If it doesnt work..I'll try something else.

Back
Top Bottom