Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2004, 02:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Chemical levels question

Ok 55 gal tank FOWLR New setup My Ammonia is 2.5 very high i am assuming but nitrite and nitrate are 0 is this normal or am i doing something wrong?

Old 06-12-2004, 02:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

also another question my LFS is tellign me that if I use a wet dry filter with bio balls it will take care of everything i have heard different on this forum can you please give your opinions on my setup here it is 55 gal FOWLR emporer 900 bio wheel filter DSB about 4" deep 50 lbs of lace rock 10 lbs of figi LR 20 LBS live sand. Will this suffice as a biological filter when all setup or do i need this wet dry filter? will it take care of the tank any better than the DSB? I don't want to screw this up O also i am doing 3 tanks at 1 time my coral tank seems to be doing well no problems so far but i basically took the whole thing from the ocean including water coral, sand and LR.

Old 06-12-2004, 02:23 PM   #3
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr5018
Ok 55 gal tank FOWLR New setup My Ammonia is 2.5 very high i am assuming but nitrite and nitrate are 0 is this normal or am i doing something wrong?
For a new cycling tank this is absolutely normal. Once a source for ammonia is introduced it will generally take a little longer for the nitrites to form. The nitrite stage is actually the longest and can take several weeks before it subsides. Once nitrites begin to fall, nitrates should be detectable. Let it run it's course and allow the ammonia and nitrite to diminsh unltil undetectable. Once they reach zero the tank will be cycled. There might still be some high nitrate readings but that is nothing to worry about. Do a large water change will well aged SW and it will bring things back into balance.

If you are cycling with uncured LR, I would also suggest daily water changes to help with keeping hitchikers alive and the ammonia down to less leathal levels.

Quote:
Will this suffice as a biological filter when all setup or do i need this wet dry filter?
The only thing I would recommend is mabye uping the LR a tad and removing the biowheel. The sand/LR combination is more than adequate for biological needs. The LFS is seeing a $$ sign on you somewhere

Will you be relying on water changes for export or is the a refugium/skimmer in the plans?

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-12-2004, 02:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
You have enough rock in the tank to take care of your filtration. You are also already running a wet/dry filter on the tank if you have an Emperor with a biowheel. Your ammonia is quite high, but should start to drop off as the bacteria grows. I would probably take the biowheels and media out of the Emperor and just use it for flow and the occasional application of AC. If you could add another 20-25lbs of LR, it would help control ammonia/nitrite once you start adding fish.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Will you be relying on water changes for export or is the a refugium/skimmer in the plans?
please explain in detail export? I am thinking about using a skimmer in the future but as far as i am aware they just generally move the water I am sure i am wrong on this so could you please explain the reason for a skimmer as well? or send me an article that will? Thankyou
Old 06-12-2004, 04:28 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=13
Old 06-13-2004, 03:42 AM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
please explain in detail export?
Anything that absorbs nutrient and can be removed from the sytem "exports". Basically removing the DOC, PO4 and other impurities that can lead to poor water quality and algae problems. These include skimmers, refugiums with macro algae, water changes, soft coral harvesting and carbon or resins.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
chemi, chemical, level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com