Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks... Roka, i'm the one with the solana aquarium (34gal).. I had BIO bags and Carbon. I just added LR rubble and will wait a couple weeks and then take the BIO bags out.

The carbon bag has been in there since Aug 20th.... so not even a month yet. I don't feel like the Cyano is getting worst - it's getting better, so all the advise from you all has definitely helped!

Old 09-08-2008, 08:36 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Remember, carbon will last 1-2 weeks before leeching nasties back into your tank. You can either change it or just take it out. I think you may see an improvement.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Oh yeah. By all means do not use the red slime stuff consistently. Maybe it was just the psychological boost I needed to see something right away. One time use.That made me go full bore on making sure it didn't come back. The kind I used was mixed with sw according tothe instructions. It made the water yellow for a bit. I did turn my skimmer off for the day.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I have used Chemi-clean and like all other products, if you don't know what is in it, be cautious. I have had it trigger macroalges to go asexual and virtually crash a system. Make sure you perform the proper water changes afterwards. On a second note, very few studies if any have determined "aged" carbon and releaching a system. Depending on how it is used there's no reason it cannot last up to a month, but changing it bi-monthly would be on the safe side
Old 09-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

This "carbon" thing seems to be one of the most opinion based topic for systems... some say keep it for a couple months... some say for a couple weeks and some say don't use it at all.

If I take it out... what exactly is that doing? Isn't it there to help with the nitrates? So would I expect a spike in nitrates or something else if I take it out?
Old 09-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

As as been said it is a band aid solution and can actually cause more harm then good. A friend of mine used it and ended up crashing his system. I would diagnose the problem and work from there. Cyano feeds on excess nutrients and frequent PWCs will help eliminate the problem. Adding a refugium to your system to eat up the excess nutrients will further help and benefit you system.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

In Jan I plan on upgrading to a 125 gallon... and putting this 34gallon in the garage and using as a Refuge... but until then .. LOL
Old 09-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Until then I would increase the number of PWCs you do in a month. I change 20-30% every other week on my system.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #19
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caige View Post
This "carbon" thing seems to be one of the most opinion based topic for systems... some say keep it for a couple months... some say for a couple weeks and some say don't use it at all.

If I take it out... what exactly is that doing? Isn't it there to help with the nitrates? So would I expect a spike in nitrates or something else if I take it out?
Aquarium Frontiers On-Line: July 1997: Product Review

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacteria, chemi, clean, cyano, red slime, slime

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com