Chemiclean - Red Slime (Cyano-bacteria remover)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caige

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is my first time using this. Can you all help me confirm what I need to do here....

I need to shut off skimmer
remove chemical filtration (carbon)
Add an additional Koralia 1 flow rate
Mix dosage in separate bucket with some water -- then add to the tank.
Do a 20% water change after 48hours

This sound right? So I can leave my return pump on??

Anyone know if my water will change colors when this is in? If I perform system tests, what should I look for?

I have usually found out from others that it might take care of the problem short term but it always comes back. It is a band aid solution. Long term would be to take care of the fuel source.

Definitely understood --- I have done a 20% water change every day for 3 days. I have rinsed all of my filters / sponges in the water change water.. I also rinsed out my BIO balls.

I added about 2 lb's of LR rubble and am going to leave WITH the BIO balls for a couple weeks, and then take out the BIO's completely.

All my test results are coming back perfectly...

I believe i'm on the right path!

If you believe you're on the right path, then why do you want to use the chemicals?

Getting rid of cyano doesn't happen overnight, even if you do all the right things. Our tanks are complex little ecosystems that don't turn on a dime, if you know what I mean. If you think you're on the right path, then I'd continue the path and see what happens.

Just my nickel's worth...

I just thought it would give me an "extra" push to getting it cleaned up.

I agree with the rest. I had to battle cyano as well. Keep in mind, all of our tanks are different and some things work for some folks and others just don't. I would continue the siphon and PWCs (have you checked your source water), reduce lighting and feeding, increase PWC. I like to go as natural as possible. Also remember, cyano is a bacteria....just like your beneficial bacteria.....
I ended up switch from IO to reef crystals and the cyano went away.

I might bein the minority here, but I believe in the Chemiclean for a start. Worked for me when I did both. Add it and do the water changes with an eye on why you have it in the first place so you can fix it and keep it from coming back.

I understand Ray. My problem is that there is no long term benefit. I have seen it work short term but never for the long haul.

Thanks all, as always, for your valuable feedback! I have decided to keep my eye on the problem, but to "assist" a little by going ahead and using the Chemiclean...

Can we go back to my original questions:

Can you all help me confirm what I need to do here....

I need to shut off skimmer
remove chemical filtration (carbon)
Add an additional Koralia 1 flow rate
Mix dosage in separate bucket with some water -- then add to the tank.
Do a 20% water change after 48hours

This sound right? So I can leave my return pump on??

Anyone know if my water will change colors when this is in? If I perform system tests, what should I look for?

Ray has used it so he may be able to help.
How long have you had that carbon running in the filter? What else is in the filter?

Thanks... Roka, i'm the one with the solana aquarium (34gal).. I had BIO bags and Carbon. I just added LR rubble and will wait a couple weeks and then take the BIO bags out.

The carbon bag has been in there since Aug 20th.... so not even a month yet. I don't feel like the Cyano is getting worst - it's getting better, so all the advise from you all has definitely helped!

Remember, carbon will last 1-2 weeks before leeching nasties back into your tank. You can either change it or just take it out. I think you may see an improvement.

Oh yeah. By all means do not use the red slime stuff consistently. Maybe it was just the psychological boost I needed to see something right away. One time use.That made me go full bore on making sure it didn't come back. The kind I used was mixed with sw according tothe instructions. It made the water yellow for a bit. I did turn my skimmer off for the day.

I have used Chemi-clean and like all other products, if you don't know what is in it, be cautious. I have had it trigger macroalges to go asexual and virtually crash a system. Make sure you perform the proper water changes afterwards. On a second note, very few studies if any have determined "aged" carbon and releaching a system. Depending on how it is used there's no reason it cannot last up to a month, but changing it bi-monthly would be on the safe side :)

This "carbon" thing seems to be one of the most opinion based topic for systems... some say keep it for a couple months... some say for a couple weeks and some say don't use it at all.

If I take it out... what exactly is that doing? Isn't it there to help with the nitrates? So would I expect a spike in nitrates or something else if I take it out?

As as been said it is a band aid solution and can actually cause more harm then good. A friend of mine used it and ended up crashing his system. I would diagnose the problem and work from there. Cyano feeds on excess nutrients and frequent PWCs will help eliminate the problem. Adding a refugium to your system to eat up the excess nutrients will further help and benefit you system.

In Jan I plan on upgrading to a 125 gallon... and putting this 34gallon in the garage and using as a Refuge... but until then .. LOL

Until then I would increase the number of PWCs you do in a month. I change 20-30% every other week on my system.

This "carbon" thing seems to be one of the most opinion based topic for systems... some say keep it for a couple months... some say for a couple weeks and some say don't use it at all.

If I take it out... what exactly is that doing? Isn't it there to help with the nitrates? So would I expect a spike in nitrates or something else if I take it out?

Aquarium Frontiers On-Line: July 1997: Product Review

Back
Top Bottom