Chili Coral - Alcyonium species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefaddict

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got a gorgeous bright red Chili! Just wondering if anyone has any pointers for the care of this awesome, soft, non-photosynthetic coral.

I've done some research and have DT's Phytoplankton that i've been feeding directly to the polyps with a pipette, when they are extended.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-The New 105

I thought that at first too, but I was told it is a chili. If you look at the two different corals (chili, dendro) closely you can see their is a difference so it is probably not a dendro.

I'll post a comparison picture of one of each here!

I have a Chili Sponge\Coral in my tank for several months now so I can tell you what i have learned. If what you have is a Chili, get it out of the light. My Chili hates the light. I have it living in constant shade under an overhanging rock. If you have a tunnel to put it in, even better. The hard part is getting it the water flow that it needs in there. It needs a strong current, but it will not like too direct water pressure, and it will not open up. I try to feed my tank DTs and Brine Shrimp at least twice a week, one time target feeding the Chili, and the Clam, and one time just adding it to the tank water. I do this at about 30 minutes before the lights go out so both the Photo. and NonPhoto creatures have a chance to feed. HTH :)

Back
Top Bottom