Chili Coral questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ixmnrs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a red chili coral and it 'sheds' or 'molts' daily. I've read that they do shed to rid itself of surface debris, but I've tried different locations, strong, mild or weak current, and every day or 2, the whole tank bed is covered with this red, hair-like substance. It even finds its way onto my yellow polyps, which I can't imagine is a good thing It's fairly easy to siphon off, but it's very labour intensive. It opens up large at night every night, so I don't believe it's sick, yet I don't know if what I'm describing is natural behaviour and if so, is there any way I can control or minimize it.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you have a cyano problem. It can smother corals given the chance. If this is an established tank, the main reason will be from PO4 as a rule. Check the levels in the tank and from your source water to determine the PO4 level. Any amount will fuel cyano once in the tank.

Given this is a 40 gal tank, it is also overstocked:
2 clowns, 1 regal tang, 1 yellowtang

That will also be a contributor. Even one tang is too much for this size tank.

Reduced feedings, increased water flow, numerous water changes to reduce DOC's and other possible polutants as well as manual syphoning is the best method to control/eliminate cyano.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom